Author Topic: is your workshop ever big enough?  (Read 8066 times)

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
is your workshop ever big enough?
« on: August 03, 2013, 06:51:10 AM »
Following Katchin's exploits with his workshop and seeing some of the comments posted I thought I would pose this question. Is your workshop ever big enough?
 I thought mine would be when I built it, 16 ft X 16ft approx.Then you have to take off the timber storage which is about 2ft wide all round. Then take off the room used for tool storage and machines etc. and I dare say that the area left is about 6ft X4ft. Well probably a bit more than that but you get the idea. And why is it that the best intentions of keeping the bench tidy soon disintegrate into "there's a space I will put it there" type thinking.
Regards
John BHT

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
Re: is your workshop ever big enough?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2013, 08:22:13 AM »
When I moved up to Wiltshire |I thought I was in heaven. In Cornwall I had a 12 x 6 shed and on moving I had a 20 x 12 brick workshop with a concrete floor. Now I could do with more space for wood, machinery etc like you John. Simple answer to your original question? No!!!! LOL

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Eric Harvey

• platinum
  • Craters project no.1
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2013, 10:30:30 AM »
I have a 12`x10` workshop,never enough space in it
welcome to my woodturning world

Offline julcle

• platinum
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2013, 12:02:20 PM »
Just chuck out the rubbish !  I found I had a shed after I did that.
Mind you it's back to square 1 again now.
Crowvalley Woodturners
Julian

Offline Doug Barratt

• bronze
  • Living the dream
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2013, 02:07:09 PM »
Is your workshop ever big enough?

Yes thanks  ;D ;D ;D  It`s time I`m in short supply of   :( :( :(

Then again there`s always something that could be better  :-\

Doug.

woody

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2013, 07:04:55 PM »
Over the last 2 years I have had to downsize my workshop three times the thing I learnt was we dont need half of the stuff we keep I am down to a 10ft x 8ft workshop and starting from scratch two years ago I had a 26ft x 26ft workshop

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2013, 08:34:15 PM »
Before we moved a year last May, I had an oversized double garage. Woodwork area, Turning area (wife's area?) and an MGB GT.

Had to sell the MG, it's either woodwork or turning, no room for both and SWMBO has a shed - all I have now is a small single garage (and woodstore), but I get by.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Doug Barratt

• bronze
  • Living the dream
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2013, 09:04:14 PM »
It`s only a matter of utilizing the space you have to its best potential.

When I first got married my workshop was the cubby hole under the stairs, with its very narrow bench there was barely room for 2 people to stand side by side but I still managed to make a fire surround & window in there, though I will admit glue up was done in the dinning room.

Cheers.

Doug.

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2013, 11:38:28 PM »

In short, no...  I've had 3 single garages as workshop in the past and a cellar, finally now a 12x10 shed ...  1st was fine, just lathe on bench and stand with grinder... 2nd was between moves and shared with what wouldn't go in the house, still got some turning done..
3rd .. now the bandsaw, vac, pillar drill and the things which I'd had had at my Dads' .. the most time I turned .. The cellar ... large space shared with overflow of what couldn't go anywhere else ..  back to room for just lathe and grinder only and time, the monthly piece for C.A.W Club night..  Too where I'm at now ...  workshop space only.. ya .. then why 5 bicycles and the suitcase that won't go through the hatch .. and..

Cheers  David

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline burywoodturners

• gold
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2013, 04:15:44 PM »
 Could try the BBC and ask for a redundant Tardis!
Ron

Offline TONY MALIN

• gold
  • Rugby Warwickshire
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2013, 07:06:55 PM »
I'm three quarters of the way through a tidying up exercise in my garage/workshop. I unearthed 3x72 cans of   John Smiths bought on offer three years or more ago. Well out of best before, but still BOOTIFUL.

Offline TONY MALIN

• gold
  • Rugby Warwickshire
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2013, 07:52:27 PM »
OOPS. Must've had a few! 3x24. Still they'll keep me going.

Offline Hartwood

• copper
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2013, 08:56:05 AM »
The answer is, we expand into and beyond the space available,so all we are able to do is mitigate the circumstances, such as "A place for everything and everything in its place, also you have to be tidy

The next time you contemplate the latest must have  bit of kit, think where will it live! and what will it displace.

Once the basic kit acquired everything after that is want rather than need!

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2013, 11:23:26 AM »
Hi all,
       I thought this might elicit a few replies. In my own case I have extended my workshop twice now.
Hartwood, I know what you mean about a place for everything but eventually there are no places left. I often wonder why it is that we are told you only need 5 chisels to do woodturning and I have over 100?(!)
 Storing wood is my problem or to be more accurate the inability to turn down a nice piece of wood is my problem. I like your solution Ron (but I have to tell you Dr.Who is not real) Tony I'm surprised you don't know how much booze you have, have you ever had teenagers? ;D And Doug, the dining room, or as I like to call it the assembly area(re: the font).
So I will blitz the shed, throw out the rubbish and put tools away where they should be and I will then spend the next few weeks searching for tools that are normally on the bench >:(
I just can't win!!
Regards
JohnBHT

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2013, 12:57:56 PM »
Oh John, I am sure that you could manage with a few less tools LOL. I do empathise with you though as, though I am an advocate of turning with as few tools as possible, I am forever picking up another one from somewhere or other. My excuse is since going full time I need tools that will cut the time it takes to make something. Storing wood is a real problem, especially living next door to a furniture factory where there are always offcuts going to the fire that need to be rescued 'just in case' 

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities