Author Topic: Girlie Pen  (Read 2752 times)

Offline Haggy

• bronze
  • "You can keep your ashes in that " Wife
Girlie Pen
« on: July 30, 2013, 05:17:39 PM »
My 18 yr old daughter asked for a pen to match the design of her purse and handbag.
I was able to print off the design of the art work from the Internet and cut and paste it onto the wooden barrels of a slimline pen.  I sealed the paper with PVA glue and  finished it with CA.
I was pleased with the pen and so was my daughter, although the seam  of the paper is still noticeable if you examine the pen closely.
     Regards Haggy

woody

Re: Girlie Pen
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2013, 05:38:47 PM »
Very good a friend of mine dose the same sort of thing with plastic tubing which he was selling at one time I can post a photo if you want

Offline Haggy

• bronze
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2013, 05:47:37 PM »
Thanks for your opinion Woody, it would be great to see how others have gone about doing similar things.

woody

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2013, 06:15:02 PM »
Here it is the ends of the tube could have been done a bit better but he made this one on the quick as a joke for me and the wife

Offline Eric Harvey

• platinum
  • Craters project no.1
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2013, 10:03:22 AM »
what about putting the paper on the brass tubes then coating it with the gel you get in glass fibre repair kits,I use this dyed differing colours on jobs with big craks in,seems to turn ok and sands and buffs good to,regards,

Eric.
welcome to my woodturning world

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2013, 03:33:25 PM »

Haggy,  that's one really good pen and idea, and so you should both be very pleased with it. Well done.

Didn't the Woodturning magazine have an article on a kit, not only for casting blanks, but to cast over something as in this way.

Cheers  David

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline Haggy

• bronze
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2013, 09:16:26 PM »
Thanks for your suggestions- thought provoking.  The pen in the picture wasn't cast in resin- it was paper that was finished with 5 coats of CA glue and  wet sanded.  It was one of those projects I didn't think would work and nearly gave up on!  Casting the barrel in resin sounds a great idea.
    Thanks.   Haggy

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2013, 04:16:32 PM »
Haggy,

Finally home and able to see this pen in all it's glory.

I won't let the good lady see the picture, I already have enough with her matching handbags/purses/shoes & outfits - making a myriad of pens to suit as well would do me in!

However I take it the young lady in your life is well pleased.

As for casting the barrels, I know some people who are still trying how to cast bird feathers in resin and get a pen out of it - if you fancy a challenge?
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!