Author Topic: Drilling Stones  (Read 5296 times)

williams

Drilling Stones
« on: February 04, 2011, 09:14:52 AM »
Hi.
I know this is not turning, but, Turners have so much knowledge about things.

I want to drill 1 to 1.5mm holes in some stones from the beach.

Hope someone can help

Offline Martin Lawrence

• Global Moderator
  • gold
  • Kidderminster Worcestershire
Re: Drilling Stones
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2011, 09:39:59 AM »
Hi Colin,

I wish I could help with the pebbles to make a hole so small without breaking the drill bit seems impossible to me probably because I'm so heavy handed, for small holes I think they now blast through with high pressure water/air.

However I can suggest Soapstone which you would be able to drill through and then turn or hand carve into the desired pebble shape, the pic below is turned from soapstone, a bit dusty but very easy to use. It also comes in a number of colours.

Cheers Martin.

« Last Edit: February 04, 2011, 09:42:13 AM by Martin Lawrence »
Martin Lawrence

williams

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2011, 09:52:38 AM »
Hi Martin.

I have the stones from a young person that is the Son of a commission request for some turning.

Michael.

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2011, 10:46:54 AM »
Hi Michael,
Look for diamond drills used for drilling glass. When using these, it is best to use water to keep them cool and drill slowly without applying too much pressure.

rodt

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2011, 09:47:23 PM »
As a brand new member of nearly fifteen minutes standing I hope you will accept a suggestion and that is to try one of the Lapidary shops.

They have drilling equipment for tumbled stones and gemstones for jewellery and can certainly help. The one I have used is Manchester Minerals who you can find http://www.manchesterminerals.co.uk/ but obviously there are plenty of others.

Regards

Rod

Offline BrianH

• gold
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2011, 04:54:23 PM »
Beware of trying to do anything with flint. It damn nearly explodes if it breaks. A techy from Lowestoft College was setting off some emergency flares on the beach a few years ago. One of them heated a piece of flint and it killed him outright.
Food for thought?
Brian