Author Topic: Off on another track  (Read 2491 times)

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
Off on another track
« on: July 26, 2013, 07:19:15 PM »
I have a selection of different pots, vases, hollow forms, call them what you will and usually look for bases that are rough and very different in texture, scraps of root burr etc. Seeing Marks recent creations reminded me that I have a load of samples from a furniture factory of different woods and so had a play in between commissions. This needs a bit of work to clean the edges up and so forth but I must admit i like the overall result. Be interested in what others think.

The pot is old oak with brass inlays in the splits and the base is a sample of macassar ebony. I cut it to a 2 x 3 proportion oblong and have used the offcut to make four square feet for the corners. The pot is 130mm tall, the base is 18 x 12mm. Stones are river washed quartz.

I have another one with a rosewood base which I can't photograph at the moment as it is on jasper beads for feet and I can't keep it still without gluing LOL.

Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Mark Sanger

Re: Off on another track
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2013, 09:33:38 AM »
Nice work Pete,

Very peaceful, the far east is a rich source. The base you have made I too was thinking about   :) but got distracted by sculptures  :) looking forward to seeing more on your far east journey.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2013, 06:37:21 PM »
Thank you Mark. It's an ongoing challenge to try and emulate the various oriental styles. They have perfected it over 1000's of years so I have plenty to hopefully inspire me. I'll try and get the other one done and post that next week. main problem is it's addictive LOL

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2013, 02:55:28 PM »
Mark, see what you've started!

Pete,
I like this. The fine brass lines really work well in the oak.
I know it's a sample/offcut but I'm sure the ebony is worth more than the oak!
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2013, 07:46:14 PM »

Pete, you've come up with a really nice piece, the elements all work well, you're on to an interesting track here.

Cheers   David

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''