Author Topic: Sculpture  (Read 8796 times)

Offline TWiG

• gold
Re: Sculpture
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2013, 10:03:20 PM »
My first thoughts on seeing this was a bird skull !  and nothing wrong in that !  A lot more carving than turning I suspect but striking result !  lots of careful hand sanding as well .   Terry .....

Mark Sanger

« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2013, 11:30:46 AM »
Hi Malcolm

Thank you for taking the time to comment. Much appreciated, if you see space age that is fine and this is the pull for me of making sculpture as each person will see what they see, and that is fine by me.

Thank you again. 

Mark Sanger

« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2013, 11:34:45 AM »
Hi Malcolm

Thank you for taking the time to comment. Much appreciated, if you see space age that is fine and this is the pull for me of making sculpture as each person will see what they see, and that is fine by me.

Thank you again. 

Hi Terry

thank you for taking the time to comment. Most of my work is slowly moving more and more over to sculpture with the lathe being used for a part process for the producing of the base form with some offset turning, I enjoy the process of this work and the lathe alone is limited, but an excellent tool just like any other when used in part.

Sanding wasn't too bad as I have carved parts and the tools were so sharp the finish required little refinement before colouring.

Thanks again

Francesco Dibari

« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2013, 10:18:43 PM »
... great work Mark ... many compliments ..  :)

Mark Sanger

« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2013, 09:48:20 AM »
... great work Mark ... many compliments ..  :)

Thank you very much, appreciated.

Offline Haggy

• bronze
  • "You can keep your ashes in that " Wife
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2013, 09:21:59 PM »
A beautiful piece of work.  Lovely flowing form, great how you have blended the carving and turning together.   What was the inspiration behind this?  Thank you for inspiring us. 
         Haggy

Mark Sanger

« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2013, 05:29:44 PM »
A beautiful piece of work.  Lovely flowing form, great how you have blended the carving and turning together.   What was the inspiration behind this?  Thank you for inspiring us. 
         Haggy

Hi Haggy

Thank you for your comments.

This piece was a development of a previous piece. The one shown below,

There is not such an inspiration behind the latest piece, more an exploration of form and process, to look at developing solid sculptural forms using the lathe as a tool to achieve, if suitable the end result.

The designs I have been developing for quite some time in the background so it was high time I got on and took them from the sketch book to the solid.

Thank you again for taking the time to comment.

Offline Haggy

• bronze
  • "You can keep your ashes in that " Wife
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2013, 09:37:32 PM »
Thanks Mark for going to the trouble of posting another photo and your thoughts, I know exactly where you are coming from.  My problem is my finished work often doesn't end up looking like my sketches!
I love the simplicity of form and how you have pushed things to the limit on your lathe.
   Regards Haggy

Mark Sanger

« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2013, 09:51:21 PM »
  My problem is my finished work often doesn't end up looking like my sketches!

Regards Haggy

That is important, in that sketches are just a point of reference. I believe sticking to them can hold back creativity, if we as we work want to go in another direction, then I believe it is important to follow our instincts and just go with it. I have come across many good ideas in this way.

Mark Sanger

« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2013, 09:58:59 PM »
Mind you I have come up with some rubbish ones too ;D but it is the process of creating either on paper or in the solid that is the important part, and  I believe in the long run it is more important than the end result.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2013, 11:55:00 PM »
When I am making specific things for clients I have to make something the way that they want, when trying to be innovative I often find that the idea I had in mind when I start turning evolves as I am working. The shape that takes form can suggest other ideas as can the wood.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Mark Sanger

« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2013, 09:49:15 PM »
Pete

That is the way I work all of the time, hence I don't do orders as such. If you order something from me it is a bit like Henry Ford, 'you can have what you want as long as you want it my way.' :)