Author Topic: Sculpture  (Read 8797 times)

Mark Sanger

Sculpture
« on: July 22, 2013, 01:33:09 PM »
Hi all

This piece is a marquette for a sculpture. It is turned from sycamore, carved, sprayed with acrylic, sits on a black sprayed based and stands around 300mm high.

Thanks for looking. Comments as ever welcome.

GwilymF

Re: Sculpture
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2013, 02:01:48 PM »
Hi Mark, this is striking in it's simplicity of form, is it round or oval. You say this is a marquette so what's the likely size of the statue.
Gwilym

Clavico

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2013, 02:07:45 PM »
Wow, really nice, Mark!  I have been thinking about something similiar and maybe now you have inspired me. I can only hope I can make somethings that looks so good.  Robert

Mark Sanger

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2013, 05:41:24 PM »
Hi Mark, this is striking in it's simplicity of form, is it round or oval. You say this is a marquette so what's the likely size of the statue.
Gwilym

Hi , thankyou very much.

It is oval. I am aiming for a full size height of 4 ft ish including plinth. Thanks for taking the time to comment.

Mark Sanger

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2013, 05:44:01 PM »
Wow, really nice, Mark!  I have been thinking about something similiar and maybe now you have inspired me. I can only hope I can make somethings that looks so good.  Robert

Thank you very much. Sculptures are fun and height is not so much of a restriction as width.

Have fun doing yours.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2013, 08:19:41 PM »
Mark,

you are curing me of my 'no visible wood' phobia. This is stunning in it's abstract simplicity.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2013, 10:01:59 PM »
Simplicity of shape and design but not in the making. Really eye catching Mark. Is the full one going to be textured?

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Mark Sanger

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2013, 10:07:50 PM »
Hi Bryan

I hope you are well and I will hopefully see you at the end of the month.

Wood is a beautiful material and I enjoy very much the grain and colours associated with it. I do fear at times though, the opportunity of working in other ways can be missed for fear of covering the wood and others setting fire to us on the stake. :)  Sycamore is a great to work with as it is a weed pretty much, has a pretty dull look to it (as I know you know) but turns and carves like butter, it is pretty much all I turn these days, that an beech.

Although I do find it beautiful in it s own right, just knowing it is in abundance means I don't worry about covering it.  :)

Thank you for your comments, they are much appreciated.

Mark Sanger

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2013, 10:10:38 PM »
Simplicity of shape and design but not in the making. Really eye catching Mark. Is the full one going to be textured?

Pete

Hi Pete

Thank you very much for your comments and I hope you are well.  The full size one (the wood for which I am collecting tomorrow) will be either exactly as this one, or left natural and set on a scorched oak base, depends how I feel at the time.  :) Or I may just turn a massive chilli and spray it pink.  :)

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2013, 10:16:27 PM »
The pink chilli sounds good LOL. Probably find it would sell as well. I'm doing OK thanks.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Mark Sanger

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2013, 10:19:10 PM »
The pink chilli sounds good LOL. Probably find it would sell as well. I'm doing OK thanks.

Pete

Hey nothing like a pink chilli to heighten the senses  :D

Good to hear you are well. Must catch up for a coffee some time, are you still located at your beautiful workshop setting. ?

Mark Sanger

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2013, 10:20:45 PM »
Here is a slightly different angle pic, not great on contrast, I have yet to get my photography light sorted. you can see here the texture on the base in contrast to the smooth main form.

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2013, 10:53:04 PM »

Hi Mark, A piece at it's best from you as always, you keep on pushing the envelope and the thinking of we lesser mortals. Well done.

Cheers   David
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Mark Sanger

« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2013, 01:25:08 PM »

Hi Mark, A piece at it's best from you as always, you keep on pushing the envelope and the thinking of we lesser mortals. Well done.

Cheers   David

:D Thank you David, it is kind of you and don't get me wrong the kudos is appreciated, but every now and then I am just fortunate to hit on something that works, you should see the hundreds of sketches and designed I have that are a 'c wrap'.

It is rewarding if people enjoy my work (and helpful to pay the bills as well), :) , hopefully I can spread the obsession I have in creating and coming up with new ideas.

Thank you again. Take care.

Offline malcy

• gold
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2013, 09:38:55 PM »
Mark. That's another amazing piece from you. My first thought on seeing this was Space Age. It makes me think of a futuristic rocket. I'm sure you didn't intend that but that's what came into my mind initially. Beautiful, simple and, as ever, extremely well executed. Malcolm.