Author Topic: Spalted Horse chestnut  (Read 3010 times)

homeofwood

Spalted Horse chestnut
« on: July 16, 2013, 06:58:58 PM »
Hi Guys...

Have a load of spalted horse chestnut ready... Not had this before or turned it.. Have any of you guys turned it... Your opinions please..

Cheers

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
Re: Spalted Horse chestnut
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2013, 07:04:03 PM »
Hi Paul....that sounds interesting...I'll be down your way on the weekend, but probably won't arrive until late in the day on Saturday. Will be around Rye on Sunday and again on Monday morning - have to be at the tunnel on Monday evening, so what would be a good time to call in?
Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

homeofwood

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2013, 07:07:26 PM »
Hi Les

Monday is good... early about 9am would be good for us... if thats not to early for you...

Paul

homeofwood

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2013, 07:11:27 PM »
here is one board.. it seems rather yellow... I think it looks different..

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2013, 09:09:49 PM »
Hi Paul...9:00 would be a bit ambitious! We're on a campsite near Teneterten and we'll have to dismantle and pack away the awning before we can up-sticks and drive to Rye
Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline TWiG

• gold
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2013, 09:29:33 PM »
I have turned plenty of Horse Chestnut in various states of spalt , I have a load of it spalting at the moment mostly burr ,I find it very nice to work with , I mostly make hollow vessels and it works easily and fast ( it must be one of the softest hardwoods there is ) I find it can be tricky to get a good finish off  the tool , but it sands easily and a good finish is obtainable , but it will dent easily , so sharp edges on bowl rims are best avoided !!   Terry....