Author Topic: Getting back in the swing  (Read 3105 times)

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
Getting back in the swing
« on: July 11, 2013, 11:29:51 PM »
Did my first evenings demo for two years at our club tonight. Once I got out the front I was OK but nervous before hand. Demo'd using waste and scrap wood and if the questions afterwards are anything to go by people's interest was piqued. Set a challenge for people to make something out of wood they would normally throw away by next month, be interesting to see how many have a go LOL

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
Re: Getting back in the swing
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2013, 08:49:17 AM »
There sometimes seems to be so much going on in your neck of the woods that I'm getting a bit jealous. Stuck up here in the Snowdonia National Park has some amazing benefits, but a paucity of woodturning clubs. The project sounds like a great idea and right up my street and I have so far managed to make a couple of nicely spalted bowls off the firewood pile.

Hope you get a good response!

Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2013, 10:07:34 AM »
Pete,

I like this idea as a club challenge.

I have to admit I like to see just what I can make from small bit's of leftovers. So far the smallest I work is 1/4" square x 2" long and I make Apple Stalks. But a full project, now that's a good idea.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2013, 04:19:44 PM »
Pete,
        if you were nervous last night it didn't show. I thought it was a good demo and an interesting subject, I thought the level that you pitched it was just right for our club members.
 I must admit to throwing out better wood than you used last night so it has got me thinking again!
  I also think that nerves can be a good thing during a demo but when I get them I tend to forget bits and pieces(or is that an age thing)so I now write down pertinent things that I want to say just so that I can get out all of the information that I originally planned on.
       I often wonder if those club members that do not demonstrate realise how much planning and work goes into a demo.
Regards
John BHT

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2013, 09:19:11 AM »
Thanks John, it was perhaps because I was aware that there are some really skilled turners in the club that I was nervous as well as the long gap since I last demo'd. I actually really enjoy demonstrating and have been 'public speaking' since the early 80's but as someone once said to me if you don't get nerves before you speak, then you need to worry. Glad you and others got ideas from it.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline ken crittle

• iron
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2013, 10:48:36 PM »
Pete

Enjoyed your demo,food for thought,hope your challenge is taken up could be interesting to see what turns up.

Regards ken