Author Topic: Woodturners supplies in Norfolk/Suffolk/Cambs/Essex  (Read 13271 times)

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
Woodturners supplies in Norfolk/Suffolk/Cambs/Essex
« on: July 08, 2013, 10:04:10 PM »
I'll be spending several days in Norfolk and Suffolk, via Essex and Cambs in a few weeks time and thought that I'd call in to a few woodturners supplies shops, galleries etc, but I've had no luck at all by trawling through Yell.com looking for places to visit. Are there any turners out there who can point me in the right direction please? I know about Cobweb crafts, so might well call in, and I'll call in to Lincolnshire Woodcraft on my way back west to North Wales.
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline john taylor

• bronze
    • John Taylor Woodturner
Re: Woodturners supplies in Norfolk/Suffolk/Cambs/Essex
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2013, 10:31:41 PM »
Nick Arnull http://www.nickarnullwoodturner.co.uk/ in Norfolk is worth a visit and of course Peter Childs http://www.peterchild.co.uk/ in Essex.

I am sure there are other places worth visiting, hopefully Andy knows some more.

john

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2013, 10:44:32 PM »
Thanks John....I called in to Peter Child when I was last in Essex....I bought my lathe second hand from not too far away from his place, so might well call back there. The nickarnull link looks good.
Cheers...Les

Andy Coates

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2013, 05:03:37 PM »
It depends what you want really. Cobwebcrafts - which incidentally is me!- doesn't sell supplies, but you can always call in for a chat and a coffee.

D H Evans in Bury St Edmunds is a general tool and supplies store but with a large woodturning section. Elmers in Kesgrave ditto.

If you intend to call in on Nick Arnull give him a call first. He could be busy with orders.

Peter Child's you know about.

There's also Fakenham Tool & Equipment Hire Ltd, 9 George Edwards Road, Fakenham, Norfolk, NR21 8NL. Not the largest selection, but some tools, blanks, accessories etc.

There are others, such as Cambridge Wood blanks but they don't have a retail outlet.

Aside from that we're pretty barren really!

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2013, 06:52:40 PM »
I didn't realise you were Cobweb Crafts Andy. Who does the glass work?

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Andy Coates

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2013, 09:03:52 PM »
John Wilson does the glass. He's technically retired but keeps coming in just to annoy me!

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2013, 09:10:26 PM »
Hi again...thanks Andy for the offer, I'd be very pleased to take you up on that and, 'Yes', I had realised that you were Cobweb. I've been viewing some of your coloured work on YouTube and in your blog, and decided that I really wanted to see it close-up. I'll be in Suffolk/Norfolk in the first week of August....should I phone first or just turn up?

regards...Les

Offline John

• bronze
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2013, 10:36:33 PM »
Hi gwyntog,
I don't sell generally but if you are in the Southend on sea area of Essex you are welcome to call in for a chat and a cuppa,
John
John English

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2013, 07:53:19 AM »
Hi John...thanks for that, I appreciate the offer...always good to chat with fellow enthusiasts and pick their brains! We haven't yet made specific plans, but I'll see how Southend fits into our general route.

Les

Offline Eric Harvey

• platinum
  • Craters project no.1
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2013, 11:33:50 AM »
there`s Norfolk Saw Services at Dog Lane,Horsford,Norwich,Norfolk,NR10 3DH. Their a very friendly bunch there,regards,

Eric.
welcome to my woodturning world

Andy Coates

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2013, 08:06:44 PM »
If it's the first week in August I'm going to be hellishly busy I'm afraid. I leave to set up the seminar on the 7th. So by all means call, but it may have to be a short visit as I'll have a mountain of work to do.

homeofwood

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2013, 08:44:35 PM »
shame you are not popping a bit further south

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2013, 09:46:02 PM »
Hi again....
Andy....I'll not take more than a few minutes of your time. My main reason for calling is to see some of your coloured work face-to-face, so to speak, so hopefully, there'll be a bit of it in the gallery>

Paul....guess where we're spending a couple of nights prior to using the tunnel on the way to France.....RYE! Now that I realise that Home of Wood is there, my wife will never believe me when I tell her that it was pure coincidence!

Les

homeofwood

« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2013, 10:13:44 PM »
Les

You have picked a lovely place to stop at ...  :) i,m sure your wife will understand  :)

Have you dates yet ? we will be very pleased to see you so please dont forget to stop in.. Give me a call when you are down.

Paul

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2013, 11:29:04 PM »
Hi Paul. We're driving down from Bala on Saturday 20th July in a camper van, so may be late on Sat and will need to get straight to camp site, so will be in Rye on Sunday or early Monday before going to tunnel for 18:00 train.