Author Topic: Wading Birds  (Read 3623 times)

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
Wading Birds
« on: April 14, 2011, 09:53:24 PM »
These Wading Birds were copied from a Woodturning magazine.The base is Ash the birds from Robinia from a friends garden. John 
John Smith

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
Re: Wading Birds
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2011, 10:45:12 PM »

John, I can recall having seen this piece, but not which issue it was, they are a fine pair, equal to what had been shown at the time, if not better, beautifully balanced pair, like what you've done, are they here all summer..   ;D ...  Well done and thank you.

David
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

thebowlerhattedturner

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2011, 10:11:10 PM »
Hi John,
           I must have missed these as I haven't commented yet. I do think this is a beautiful piece, very nicely proportioned and nicely finished. They are very graceful which I am sure is what you intended. How did you do the bent neck?
Regards
John

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2011, 06:25:12 PM »
Hello David and John,thank you for your comments on my piece as I mentioned I copied this from a magazine,it was "The Woodturner"  (no longer published) it was in Volume 1 issue 3 September 1997 the article was by Les Jamieson in the article there was a photograph of Les he was wearing a sweater with Northumbrian Woodturners embroidered on.

John, the bent neck was a turned  2" dia ring  with a 3/8" beading/captive ring tool cut in half one half for each neck.
                                                     Regards John 
John Smith

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2011, 07:13:57 PM »

Hi John, You're very well come, as said, you made an excellent job of them.   I don't think "The Woodturner" ever came to an end, as I did take it, it was about 2006, if not 05 that due to costs or maybe lack of demand, it was printed within "The Woodworker" front was Woodwork and 2nd half Woodturning, it was a good detailed magazine, I only gave it up as their Renewal Hot Line took so long to answer, I gave up on the wait, following so many calls.. I've up to 2007, which was then the jount magazine, they even printed a shed build issue, like said very detail magazine and interesting in case you needed to do some woodwork, or know about any other tool, outside of woodturning, which could be handy.

David
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2011, 08:55:15 PM »
Hi Mark Thank you for your kind comments most appreciated Regards John
John Smith