Author Topic: Myford ML8  (Read 3455 times)

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
Myford ML8
« on: July 03, 2013, 02:58:45 PM »
I seem to remember using a Myford ML8 in the woodworking shop in my grammar school (too many years ago to admit to). Now there's one for sale at a sensible price, and I'm thinking of going for it. Does anyone out there have any experience of this make/model? If so, I's be appreciative of hearing your thoughts on how you rate the lathe.

Regards...Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline Buzzbee

• iron
Re: Myford ML8
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2013, 06:24:23 PM »
Inherited one from my Father bought new in 1956. Only sold it a couple of years ago and it had never had bearings or any other component replaced in all that time. Only downside was the smallish clearance over the bed (although outboard turning was an option on mine) and the absence of variable speed. Bought a new Myford Mystro on the strength of the ML7 build quality and I have not been dissapointed with it either. 10 years on and faultless to date.

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2013, 11:30:41 PM »

Hi Les,  the only things I'd fault the ML on would be single tube bed and age, compared with your Record, which as green (color) would not be as old.

The ML was an option given to me by Keith Rowley in 1996, one S/H or the new Mystro direct from Myford, I went for the Mystro ... should of got the vari-speed, then that was all new and not a lot known about it then, by me .. it's been a faultless Lathe, other an the pulley working loose .. it happens.

Hope it has been of help.

Cheers  Dewi

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline julcle

• platinum
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2013, 01:23:06 PM »
Hi Les  --  I have one in my workshop, only replaced it a few months ago. Great little lathe, no problems with it
at all. 4" throw on it so mainly a spindle lathe and a No1 MT and the spindle thread is unique to this lathe
think it's 1" x 12 from memory (may be wrong on this though). I do have a manual for it or copy of one at least.
I don't suppose I will ever use it again so may put it on e-bay at some stage or cut it down and just use it
for pens and the like.

Julian
Crowvalley Woodturners
Julian