Author Topic: Tool Rests  (Read 3396 times)

Offline Katchin

• bronze
Tool Rests
« on: April 11, 2011, 01:11:21 PM »
Hi, I bought a short tool rest from Axminster recently, and it is 0.5 - 1mm too wide to fit my lathe, Axminster are happy to accept the return, however I still need need a short tool rest.
Are all rests of a different diameter? Most annoying if so.
My rest appears to have a diameter of 25mm, does anyone know where I can get one of that size?
It will be quite difficult to purchase one specifically for my lathe, as it is a generic lathe http://www.craft-supplies.co.uk/cgi-bin/psProdDet.cgi/IM004 When I bought it, I assumed it was just a rebadged axminster one., maybe it was but uses different tool rest size.

cheers
John Simon Lawrenson

Offline Dave Atkinson

• Global Moderator
  • gold
  • Macclesfield
Re: Tool Rests
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2011, 01:26:27 PM »
Hello John

It's a b******r isn't it!

Sorby do a range of rests that fit onto their toolposts.  They do the toolposts in different sizes including 25mm and 1".  Have a look here:
http://www.toolpost.co.uk/pages/Chucks___Accessories/Toolrests/toolrests.html

You can also get these from Turner's Retreat.

Alternatively turn a dowel the right diameter, Cut the head off a bolt and epoxy it into the dowel, make a short toolrest from hardwood and sink the nut into the middle of it and bob's your uncle - 1 modular toolrest.  If you have a look at the pics on the link you will see what I mean.

Cheers Dave

Offline Katchin

• bronze
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2011, 07:32:44 PM »
perfect, thanks.
John Simon Lawrenson

Offline BrianH

• gold
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2011, 05:05:13 PM »
A, now sadly deceased, member of our club welded me a series of different tool rests using the centre shafts from car shock absorbers. The steel is beautifully polished and as hard as one of young Mr Baldrick's very hard things so tools just 'flow' across their surface and pits are a thing of the past.
Food for thought to anyone?
Brian