Author Topic: A pair of something  (Read 4382 times)

skewman

A pair of something
« on: April 09, 2011, 12:03:54 PM »
This months comp. is to turn a pair. Not being one of my better skills i decided to turn some split turnings, whether these count as a pair or not i shall no doubt find out at my next meeting.

thebowlerhattedturner

Re: A pair of something
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2011, 08:24:46 PM »
Hi Skewman,
                you could always glue a contrasting timber to each piece and turn them again, that's an easy way to turn a pair.
Good finish though.
Regards
John

myatt1972

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2011, 10:33:59 PM »
Hi Skewman,
                you could always glue a contrasting timber to each piece and turn them again, that's an easy way to turn a pair.
Good finish though.
Regards
John

Every day is a school day  ;D

myatt1972

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2011, 10:37:16 PM »
Great finish and I really like the colour of the wood, what is it?

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2011, 01:46:50 AM »

Hi Skewman, Nice work and thinking with it, good idea from John, best of luck in the comp, let us know the result.

David

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

skewman

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2011, 10:21:08 AM »
Hi chaps I didn,t win our compt,there were some very nice true pairs in the compt.my piece was not quite true to the format Idon,t think but I always try and enter our compts. The wood by way is off cuts of walnut from a building company that were all on the  way to a wood burner.

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2011, 09:48:42 PM »

Well the important thing is above all, is the taking part, if you don't try, you don't get an understanding as to if a piece is acceptable or not.  Before I joined the current Club I'm with, I'd seen just 2 pieces entered some nigths, at that rate there is no losser, even if it had been 3, so how are thinks to be judged fair !!!!!!!!!!!  how ever many may enter, you can find there can be those who have a runaway win, regardless of the piece...  or is that just me who see it like that...   Well I must make my piece for next month comp.   best to be in.

David
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''