Author Topic: Wood Art Collaboration Carlow, Ireland  (Read 7887 times)

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
Re: Wood Art Collaboration Carlow, Ireland
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2013, 09:55:16 PM »
I would love to be involved in this sort of thing. I have  done a little bit of collaboration though nothing on this scale and find that the greatest pleasure is in learning something new and finding that my own attitude and approach to turning and design changes. I couldn't see anything in the pictures or video that was obviously your work Mark but I bet you have come away with a head full of ideas, and new approaches. Be interesting to see how it influences your future work.

pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Mark Sanger

« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2013, 06:12:24 AM »
Hi Pete

It is hard to see my work as I did very little turning. The collaboration was about building a wall as a team and getting stuck into many and any jobs that needed doing. While there were specific teams such as the wall builders we all got involved.

I produced many of the stones, one in particular and a found object.

Also I was part of the colouring and texturing team producing along with others many of the coloured stones and Lichen accents around the wall. As well as producing the very end of the main stone tumble down area of the wall, colouring, laying out together with Neil Turner and Sharon Doughty, Art Liestman, and others so it was a team effort.

My stone prior to sand blasting and lichen being added

Tara broach that I made to look Pewter, old an worn duck as part of the infill for the wall, it was hidden together with many items for people to discover.

Me shaping one of the many stones for final fitting into the tumble down.

Here is a pic courtesy of Art Liestman showing one of the many stones made by by others, and found objects, also showing one of the many parts I textured and applied lichen effect to.

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2013, 06:33:47 AM »
The more pics you show us, the more fascinating it becomes. A collaborative piece as unique as this deserves a wide, appreciative audience, so what's the future for the wall? How long will it remain in place and will it be displayed elsewhere?
Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2013, 06:54:23 AM »
I think all of us would love the opportunity to get up close to this 'wall' and spend some time 'seeing' it is as only possible by proximity. There looks to be an awful lot of hidden features, designs, textures etc that just can't be seen in film or photos.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Mark Sanger

« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2013, 05:56:01 PM »
The more pics you show us, the more fascinating it becomes. A collaborative piece as unique as this deserves a wide, appreciative audience, so what's the future for the wall? How long will it remain in place and will it be displayed elsewhere?
Les

Hi Les

the wall is at Visual for three months, after which I am sure at the moment. Hopefully it will be shown at another venue in Ireland.

Mark Sanger

« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2013, 05:57:10 PM »
I think all of us would love the opportunity to get up close to this 'wall' and spend some time 'seeing' it is as only possible by proximity. There looks to be an awful lot of hidden features, designs, textures etc that just can't be seen in film or photos.

Bryan

You are right. You just can not appreciate the work or depth of the wall from the pictures. There is an awful lot going on, but in a subtle way.

Mark Sanger

« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2013, 06:20:55 PM »
http://youtu.be/I6nW1jSOYV0

Video update with credits.