Author Topic: Wood Art Collaboration Carlow, Ireland  (Read 7891 times)

Mark Sanger

Wood Art Collaboration Carlow, Ireland
« on: June 12, 2013, 01:04:55 PM »
Hi all

I recently spent time in Ireland on a Wood Art Collaboration for the making and installation  of 'Improvisation on the theme of an Irish Wall' for  Visual Gallery Carlow with the collaboration being funded by the Carlow Arts Festival Eigse , cinematographers and Chinese Carving master together with his wife attending with the support of the IWCS ' International Wood Culture Society

The project involved researching, problem solving and making a dry stone wall from wood to reflect our interpretation of the subject, to include individual works from each maker, from carvings, lighting visual displays (in the form of a hologram included by one maker that illuminated within the wall as you walked past), to colouring texturing to produce a transition from stone to wood and back, reflecting the history and to push the boundaries of wood art within a more contemporary setting. All items included in the wall were made from wood with the only other inclusions other than the hologram being paints, texturing and fixing hardware to make the wall safe for public viewing.

The project was co-ordinated and arrange by Terry Martin of Australia and Cornelia McCarthy    Ireland and held at the premises of  Glen Lucas . Many international artists being invited it was a great experience, chance to learn and share and to be part of such an installation.

My invitation came last October via an email and the rest is history.

There will soon be a video link to the IWCS web site where a video of the event and our working will be available to view. The IWCS provided two professional cinematographers who attended  from Taiwan to document the event, I have seen the video, it is amazing and really shows the community spirit,wonderful time we had and the end result of many many long hours of work put in by all,  far better than I can describe here.

The IWCS web site and the other links here are of interest to us woodies. 

I will be posting a blog entry of the event as it was certainly an eye opener for me to be involved in such a project and it may be of interest for others and wood slowly makes the transition from craft to an art form and more importantly is slowly being accepted by such galleries, something that is highlighted during the interviews within the video.

Links to the websites of some of those makers that took part have been added to my web site here and it is worth looking at the variety of ways in which people work with wood. Very inspirational and it was a privilege to share and learn with all.

Being invited as a woodturner was interesting as I actually spent the week carving and was privileged to receive one - one time as were many others with 'Wood Carving Master Xiang Dong Wang' from China who uses the most simple of carving tools to produce his work.

A few pics I have included below. While there is little woodturning there were some turned items included, the links are well worth looking at and the way in which woodturning, furniture making, carving, sculpting crossed over into the final result shows one transition I believe woodturning will move more into in the future as a part process.

A few samples of the many stones produced from wood.

The storyboard we all added ideas to initially for us to dip into for reference.

Master Xiang Dong Wang starting his carving

to this

then this

and finally with another head stone carving he produced. to this.

Component turned parts produced by Neil Turnerfor the hinges of this piece,

coloured by Jacques Vesery

who was more than willing to pass on his colouring techniques and skills, this being one of the major parts of the event that everyone helped and shared throughout.

The wall installed in the gallery for the opening at Visual

pic courtesy of Liam Flynn

Pic Courtesy of Liam Flynn

There are many many other carvings, objects and parts to this story for the building of this wall, hard work, late nights working ( and trying out the local watering hole to watch traditional Irish musicians) and the story behind it with over 500 photos I will hopefully get some on my blog.

Such as this skull carved by one of the makers from a found frog skeleton

from a field trip we took on the first day with a local historian for our guide. This enables us to research and learn about the history of dry stone walls, the local environment, people, flora and fauna, etc etc, with the whole process of building the wall being holistic from the ground up so to speak and shows an interesting part of the creative process.

Thanks for looking.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
Re: Wood Art Collaboration Carlow, Ireland
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2013, 02:07:40 PM »
What a fascinating idea and a great opportunity to collaborate with other skills. Some very clever and talented crafts people judging bu the results. Am I allowed to say 'Lucky sod' LOL. The sort of thing I would love to be involved in. Maybe one day I expect to see some of the Chinese style carving appearing in your work in the near future.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Martin Lawrence

• Global Moderator
  • gold
  • Kidderminster Worcestershire
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2013, 02:10:28 PM »

Cowans using wood, well what next.

Bet you had a great time and I love the result.

Cheers Martin
Martin Lawrence

Offline David Buskell

• gold
    • At The Cutting Edge
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2013, 02:14:37 PM »
HI Mark,

That was a great opportunity for you. Love the final results.

Do post a link to the video if it is available.

David
David
At The Cutting Edge

Mark Sanger

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2013, 04:58:18 PM »
Hi all

Thanks for your interest. It may be some time before I produce a detailed blog entry as I have a lot of work to catch up on. But this video as said does it far better than I could. Just received the permission to post it.

Produced by IWCS with their thanks. http://youtu.be/LK5n41PvbCw
« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 05:21:49 PM by Mark Sanger »

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2013, 05:45:35 PM »
Hi Mark you must have had a fantastic time "Right up your Street " thanks for posting the photographs I have just watched the video very enlightening

Regards John
John Smith

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2013, 11:41:51 PM »

Hi Mark, Well done and thank you for posting the Event, wonderful as to what had been done, for you to be there is recognition as to where you are with your talent and work.

Compaired to Ireland, I couldn't see why Dorset shouldn't have it's own wall .. For it's landscape, the Jurassic Coast, Chalk, Portland Limestone and Purbeck stone, not to name the Places etc .. Corfe Castle for one, what a History and Rich Tapestry.

Don't work to hard.

Cheers  David
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Mark Sanger

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2013, 10:44:16 AM »
Hi John and Dave

Thank you for your interest.

John is was right up my street and I expect you could see on the video of my version of the Maori Haka on the video that I was enjoying myself, I am blessed that my work is full on fun ( apart from the time of year when I have to do my self assessment).

Dave

I agree.

It would be a wonderful experience to have a collab in the UK and I have thought of it many times. But having been to two now I know it takes one hell of a lot of work many months prior to the event to obtain funding and Terry Martin, Cornelia McCarthy and Glenn Lucas together with others worked tirelessly behind the scenes long before the rest of us turned up with our chisels. May be in the future, who knows.   

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2013, 06:25:53 PM »

Hi Mark,

Yes, it is the behind the scenes continual work that goes on with any Event which makes it all happen for the 1, 2, 3 or more days.

If it came to an Event in the UK, it could be County wise, each area including the things Local to there...  then all put together in one location.. But like said, may be in the future.

Cheers   David

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Andy Coates

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2013, 10:23:17 PM »
Wonderful results, Mark. I absolutely love the wall. Looking at it reminded me of an image I had in an inspiration file on the laptop...attached here

So today I played with the combined inspirations and I'll post the result in the Gallery.

I suppose I should call it 'Improvisation on an Improvisation on the theme of an Irish Wall"? :)

Mark Sanger

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2013, 08:19:12 AM »
Thanks for the comments and interest Andy.

One of the questions often asked is ' where do you get your ideas from' your comments and example are a perfect example.

thebowlerhattedturner

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2013, 10:06:17 AM »
Mark we had a club night last night and one of the topics of conversation was what you have achieved in Carlow.
 We all found it fascinating.
Thankyou for posting about this and the video.
regards
john BHT

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2013, 08:01:19 PM »
Mark,

I've been looking at this since I got back last evening. It really is a stunning piece of work and worthy of the title of Collaborative Art. The details from the largest stones down to the smallest parts, a cobweb and I think even a snail are truly amazing.

The door with the carving behind is (to me) reminiscent of the inner chamber of Newgrange in Ireland. I'm guessing that was the idea. Was any consideration made for (or did I miss) the carvings of the Ogham language in the film.

I'm really looking forward to your eventual write up on your blog.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Mark Sanger

« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2013, 08:19:11 PM »
John

Thanks for your interest, it was amazing what happens when a group of people get together. The interesting part of it is that we had no prior idea of what we were exactly going to do, how to build it, how we wanted it to look. But it turned out great.

Mark Sanger

« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2013, 08:27:26 PM »
Mark,

I've been looking at this since I got back last evening. It really is a stunning piece of work and worthy of the title of Collaborative Art. The details from the largest stones down to the smallest parts, a cobweb and I think even a snail are truly amazing.

The door with the carving behind is (to me) reminiscent of the inner chamber of Newgrange in Ireland. I'm guessing that was the idea. Was any consideration made for (or did I miss) the carvings of the Ogham language in the film.

I'm really looking forward to your eventual write up on your blog.

The chamber was not connected to Newgrange, but what people see in a piece will alter from what is intended and this is the fun part of trying to interpret what you are viewing.

The door way was reminiscent of the old door in Irish homes, a gateway, opening, something to explore, what is behind it, and when opened the carving is seen.

The carving was carved by the Chinese Master carver to represent an old Chinese coin, on this was represented the Irish horse rearing up proud, strong, and the other side the Chinese dragon, a representation of the two countries coming together as friends.

In relation to the carvings of the Ogham stone, yes consideration was given with the words being carved being the woods that were used in the wall.