Author Topic: Plates  (Read 2709 times)

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
Plates
« on: June 12, 2013, 01:17:08 AM »

Sometime back I'd shown a board for some Plates I'd been given to make ... well after the bandsaw stopping and jigsawing to round, weather and time permitting, I've now got the 6 @ kind of matching Plates, they did not have to match, it was never to be a set, just a group .. Well having to cut to the limit of the split and with turning I've 10" x 1" (254 x 25 mm) about.. they're sanded to 240, washed and once dry, defluffed again with 240 as they are to be used and I've not given them a finish, was wondering on a nut oil, just to stop food staining and something that could be applied by the new owner.

Well next the pics   David

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
Re: Plates
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2013, 06:28:10 AM »
Blimey Dave, I'm happy when I get one right, not sure I'm yet up to tackling a set of six! They're really impressive. 
Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2013, 07:51:23 AM »
David, a good set of plates. Although I like Nut Oils as a finish, as ever I would caution their use due to alergies.

Not sure that Tung Oil (although from a nut) causes the same problems, it is the basis for Danish oil etc. so it might be worth thinking of using 100% Tung instead.

Any chance of a set of Work in Progress images showing your ways of holding them side for side next time you make some. Or are they the pic's we can't see in the other thread?
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline John

• bronze
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2013, 08:16:46 AM »
Nice set David.
I have a similar project to do, I hope I can do as well as yours.
John
John English

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2013, 09:15:03 AM »
I personally would use a food safe oil or basic vegetable oil, not olive, that goes rancid after a while. With the allergies people seem to develop nowadays I'd give any nut oil a miss just in case.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2013, 01:26:11 PM »

Thank you everyone for the comments.

Les, it's to have a layout or patern stick, transfer marked out with the mesurements, as with one for spindle work, start with the diameter correct and the rest will follow-ish... the design here was not necessary to have had a matching set.

Bryan, that's true when it comes to Nut oils or any of them, you no longer now the contents .. I've a tin of Colron Beewaxs .. will they tell you on the tins what else is in it ..  :( .. an it's all about contact with skin... something not natural about it.. Yes the pictures should be the WIP .. time wise it's the only ones ...   >:( ..

John, you will, given the Card holders ..

Pete, food oils are the fact of some and which ones will go rancid, Olive was a thought, as was Mineral oil... then it's a petroleum-based product and a Laxative .. not sure they'd be happy with that as a finish, but it's called food safe.. Sunflower I wonder on.

Cheers      David

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''