Author Topic: Mounts  (Read 5209 times)

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
Mounts
« on: June 12, 2013, 12:42:38 AM »

A lot is said about mounting on screw chucks, I've an Axminster one for their chuck, but if you're working with a thin blank, you could cut some ply/thin wood shims to shorten the screw.

But what I've gone over too and use the most as I've 1-1/2" O'Donnels jaws (pin jaws would work the same) I drill the blank .. ...  then mount ..  ... true what will be the bottom and cut the mount this time for larger jaws .. .. just rechuck and turn.. well it's my way.

Cheers  David

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
Re: Mounts
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2013, 07:26:24 AM »
Hi Dave....I've tried reading this on the laptop and the iPad, but I'm not getting the images.....just a message saying that they're not currently available.
Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2013, 07:41:13 AM »
David,

I'm getting the same - No Pictures.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2013, 09:22:40 AM »
ME TO John ;D
John Smith

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2013, 12:37:50 PM »

A lot is said about mounting on screw chucks, I've an Axminster one for their chuck, but if you're working with a thin blank, you could cut some ply/thin wood shims to shorten the screw.

But what I've gone over too and use the most as I've 1-1/2" O'Donnels jaws (pin jaws would work the same) I drill the blank .. ...  then mount ..  ... true what will be the bottom and cut the mount this time for larger jaws .. .. just rechuck and turn.. well it's my way.

Cheers  David

Thank you that images of not up for you, I see them then there on my comp ... An issue with Flickr, I was not overly happy to use them, as their NEW revamp had already taken off my past images ... and to try and login now my login is wrong ..  >:( ..  will attach as normal ..

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2013, 06:40:07 PM »
Yep, I understand what you're trying to explain now.

I do something very similar. Drill a shallow hole with a saw-tooth/forstner bit. But I don't have the very small O'Donnel jaw set, however I do have the SN2 1" jaws, which do much the same.

Thanks for the post.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Eric Harvey

• platinum
  • Craters project no.1
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2013, 05:18:49 PM »
I use 3 or 4 home made screw chucks, with various lengths of screw protruding, or if I think its to big for the screw chucks I drill 30mm hole and use a set of sorby pin jaws instead,and if its a big piece bring up the tailstock to make sure nothing flies off,regards,

Eric.
welcome to my woodturning world

thebowlerhattedturner

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2013, 11:07:09 PM »
Personally I have never been happy using a chuck in expansion mode. I will invariably turn a spigot and grip it in contraction, even with wet wood I do it this way, I find it easier to either turn the foot off or shape the foot as part of the design. Doing it the other way you tend to end up with a horrible mounting hole that no matter what you do to it it still looks like the hole you made to mount it on.
Regards
John BHT

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2013, 12:58:54 AM »

Hi John,

Very valid point, but for as often as I've used it I've not had any problems, with this form of mount, having drilled it, it is only the initial step, I used the larger recess this time at the base, which was turned away to obtain the finished size, it also gave better access when the tail stock was in place to remove when reverse chucked.

Cheers   David

Offline ColWA

• iron
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2013, 01:16:53 AM »
Quote " Doing it the other way you tend to end up with a horrible mounting hole that no matter what you do to it it still looks like the hole you made to mount it on".
I very often use a screw chuck or  drill a 25mm hole & use pin jaws, but ONLY when turning bowls or vases etc, in which case this is all removed later anyway.

Col