Author Topic: Public Liability Insurance  (Read 4224 times)

Offline iantivenan

• copper
Public Liability Insurance
« on: June 05, 2013, 06:31:36 PM »
Hi Everyone, Just a quick question. We have booked to do a craft fair this weekend and we have just had a call to enquire if we have Public Liability Insurance. I am a member of the AWGB and also a member of a woodturning club so I am wondering if anyone can advise me on the best way to get the cover required quickly and at a reasonable cost.
Many thanks,
Ian

Offline John

• bronze
Re: Public Liability Insurance
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2013, 06:38:48 PM »
Hello
The AWGB uses Ian Walace, The do Public Liability insurance on line and during working hours is instant.
Hope this helps.
John
John English

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2013, 09:55:14 PM »
If you are selling as an individual any decent craft event will require it and as it is only about £45 a year for 5 mil coverage it isn't worth not getting.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

thebowlerhattedturner

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2013, 10:07:50 PM »
Hello Ian,
           from your posting I cannot work out if you are doing the craft fair as an individual or a club. If your club was affiliated or associated with the AWGB and they got insurance from the Association and if the craft fair attendance had been minuted at a club committee meeting previously the chances are you are covered. If not you are not covered and as you would be classed as a trader then PL insurance is a must, without it if someone made a claim against you your house could be sold to cover the costs.(assuming you don't have £5million in the bank (apologies if you do))
        I would advise taking out PL insurance, as Pete said, Ian Wallace is the best person to contact.
regards
john BHT

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2013, 12:13:55 AM »
AWGB membership or affiliated club membership does not confer any public liability insurance if you are acting as an individual.

John's points about affiliated club events is correct - your attendance as a club member at a scheduled club event is covered by the club policy.

With associated clubs it depends on which insurance they have. Some have the same insurance as the affiliated clubs so the cover will be the same but some have insurance from other companies so I can't advise on those.

Regards

Paul
AWGB Insurance Officer

Offline David Buskell

• gold
    • At The Cutting Edge
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2013, 04:22:39 PM »
The CMTIA also offer PL insurance for a reasonable premium - worth checking out if you want individual insurance.

David
David
At The Cutting Edge

Offline iantivenan

• copper
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2013, 08:14:10 PM »
Thanks so much everyone for the informative replies. I have taken out PLI with Ian Wallace as advised.
Best regards,
Ian