Author Topic: Green wood  (Read 3030 times)

Offline paulkane1

• iron
Green wood
« on: May 31, 2013, 12:22:23 AM »
I am new to Woodturming,I collect some cut trees ,I cut into small sections,so as to practice on the lathe,The wood is wet,I have practised making small urns etc ,just to learn and get the feel of the tools,I have noticed that after turning ,the next day, the piece I turned is rapidity cracking/splitting,I just want to keep my first pieces as ref work,so I can judge if I am progressing ok.Is there any way of treating green wood,so that if does not split as fast,or not split at all ? I would appreciate any help or advise anyone can give me.

Yours Kindly Paul,(From Belfast)

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
Re: Green wood
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2013, 11:04:41 AM »
Paul,

A couple of pictures may be of more help to us in deducing the main part of your problem, however as a general answer;

1. Wood Cracks (it's what it does), but it can be reduced by,
2. leaving an even wall thickness (the thickness depends upon the diameter of the turning),
3. Leaving the Pith (Central core) of the wood in.
4. Allowing to dry too fast (probably your main problem)

You can save most of your turnings if, once off the lathe, you place them in a plastic bag. This will create a humidity retaining the wood's moisture (or at least only allowing it to escape slowly. But then you will need to reverse the bag every day or so. By doing this the outside (was the inside) will dry and the turning will be allowed to loose a little more moisture.

Also I suggest you read the 11th posting to this thread (by Mark sanger). He gives a very good explanation of the stresses in wood that can cause cracking etc.

http://www.awgb.co.uk/awgbforum/index.php/topic,1309.0.html
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!