Author Topic: Equipment Documentation  (Read 4925 times)

Offline Philip Green

• bronze
    • No Mans Land
Equipment Documentation
« on: April 05, 2011, 10:28:45 AM »
I suppose there is some mitigation for foreign equipment suppliers to supplier instruction booklets that are poor translations into English but what excuse have British companies got for supplying instruction booklets that have omissions, inaccuracies and are poorly worded?

I have recently bought some equipment from DeWalt, Robert Sorby and Record Power, all of which produced really poor documentation.

Anyone else have views on the level of manufacturer's documentation?
Philip from sunny St Issey

Offline Philip Greenwood

• bronze
  • Professional Woodturner. North Yorkshire
    • Woodturning into Art
Re: Equipment Documentation
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2011, 05:31:31 PM »
Yes i do, some instructions books i have come across looks like they have be compiled by someone who has not used the item or even seen it.

One problem is a change of a model but not updating the instructions.

Philip
« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 05:36:38 PM by Philip Greenwood »

theblindwoodturner

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2011, 09:48:57 PM »
I have to confess to having an obvious problem with product manuals lol. paper and blind folk don't mix lol. I would kill for documentation to products either in PDF or audio format. some manufacturers do the decent thing of providing PDF manuals for their products and others sadly don't which is a huge disadvantage. PDF format is relatively blind friendly.

mind you. the other thing which helps is DVD instruction videos (for the description only) which can also be watched by my assistant if help's needed.

sorry just my take on manuals lol.

manuel? who keeps putting manuels in these boxes? The world's full of printed inky manuels.

lew

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2011, 10:03:44 PM »

It's just as likely for costs that there printed in China as well...  I'd not consider that with Robert Sorby, what with their video links etc..

David
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline Dave Atkinson

• Global Moderator
  • gold
  • Macclesfield
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2011, 08:53:01 AM »
If you buy anything technical like a phone you have to either download a manual, or surf the net for answers.

It seems it's the same for tools and equipment.  I think manufacturers now assume we will will download the information we need.

Cheers Dave