Author Topic: Lathe slightly Off Center  (Read 8632 times)

Offline paulkane1

• iron
Lathe slightly Off Center
« on: May 24, 2013, 11:22:48 PM »
Hello ,I am a complete learner too Wood Turning.I just bought a Axminister AWVSL 1000 Lathe, I have only got it Set Up, When I bring Tail Stock up too Head Stock, the Live Center and Spur Center in Head Stock,are very ,very ,slightly out of alignment. Will this effect centering etc,I hope to turn bowls etc,and not a lot of Spindle work. Could someone tell me how I could realign the centers,so they are spot on touching? Has it got something to do with the Lathe Bed ? As I say, it is very, very .small bit of centers. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Yours Kindly Paul

thebowlerhattedturner

Re: Lathe slightly Off Center
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2013, 08:02:22 AM »
Hello Paul,
             I'm not that familiar with your lathe but have a look at the headstock and see if there are(4) fixing screws holding it to the bed. I assume the mis-alignment is left to right and not up and down, if that is the case slacken the screws and just tweak the headstock until the points line up. If it's up and down do the same but shim where needed. It's always better to have everything lining up properly as it should be as this prevents problems from intensifying over time. If you cannot sort it Axminster have a very good reputation for sorting out problems.
Regards
John BHT

Andy Coates

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2013, 05:42:38 PM »
If I remember correctly your lathe has a movable headstock?

Release the headstock lock, align, and lock down in place. There should be three pre-set detents for headstock movement, the one at 90 degrees may be slightly out of true. You may need to reset the alignment every time you move the headstock.

You can turn (or buy a metal version) a twin morse taper alignment tool to make this a quick process.

One tip if to use the tool rest jammed against the headstock when you get it aligned, this stops it shifting when you tighten the lever.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2013, 08:12:58 PM »
Paul,

to answer your question, no, it won't affect your turning. The wood will spin true between the centres for spindle work without a problem. It's possible with a rotating headstock to offset the angle between and turn normally, quite easily.

However, if you drill a hole using the tailstock to hold the drill (in a Jacobs chuck or Morse taper drill) the hole will not properly centre and it may drill a slightly oversize hole. It depends on how accurate you need your holes in dimensions.

If you can set it up accurately as described above however it will make you feel better about your lathe and stop any concerns you might have.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline paulkane1

• iron
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2013, 11:36:55 PM »
Hello Paul,
             I'm not that familiar with your lathe but have a look at the headstock and see if there are(4) fixing screws holding it to the bed. I assume the mis-alignment is left to right and not up and down, if that is the case slacken the screws and just tweak the headstock until the points line up. If it's up and down do the same but shim where needed. It's always better to have everything lining up properly as it should be as this prevents problems from intensifying over time. If you cannot sort it Axminster have a very good reputation for sorting out problems.
Regards
John BHT
Thanks Kindly for your help, There is 4 fixing screws at the Headstock,so I will try what you advised.I will keep posted,when I have modified the alignment.     Thanks Paul.

Offline paulkane1

• iron
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2013, 11:42:26 PM »

Release the headstock lock, align, and lock down in place. There should be three pre-set detents for headstock movement, the one at 90 degrees may be slightly out of true. You may need to reset the alignment every time you move the headstock.

You can turn (or buy a metal version) a twin morse taper alignment tool to make this a quick process.

One tip if to use the tool rest jammed against the headstock when you get it aligned, this stops it shifting when you tighten the lever.
Thanks kindly for your help.The Lathe has a moveable Headstock, I am not familiar with a Twin Morse Taper Tool, Could you please sent me a Link on information on this tool,and where I can buy one ?If it quickens up the process of aligning ,then it might be a good investment for a novice like myself.  Thanks Paul

Offline paulkane1

• iron
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2013, 11:46:31 PM »
Paul,

to answer your question, no, it won't affect your turning. The wood will spin true between the centres for spindle work without a problem. It's possible with a rotating headstock to offset the angle between and turn normally, quite easily.

However, if you drill a hole using the tailstock to hold the drill (in a Jacobs chuck or Morse taper drill) the hole will not properly centre and it may drill a slightly oversize hole. It depends on how accurate you need your holes in dimensions.

If you can set it up accurately as described above however it will make you feel better about your lathe and stop any concerns you might have.
Thanks kindly for your help, I will keep in mind the advise you have given me. Thanks Paul

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2013, 07:16:31 PM »

Thanks kindly for your help.The Lathe has a moveable Headstock, I am not familiar with a Twin Morse Taper Tool, Could you please sent me a Link on information on this tool,and where I can buy one ?If it quickens up the process of aligning ,then it might be a good investment for a novice like myself.  Thanks Paul

Hi Paul, A link to the tool ...  http://www.recordpower.co.uk/product/2-morse-taper-alignment-centre ...  this is just to aid alignment .. it will not correct poor machining, any forcing could result in damage to the Lathe. I've noiced with the M900 that the motor weight tips the head backwards when unlocked to have rotated the head and throws off the alignment.

Cheers    David

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline Dave Atkinson

• Global Moderator
  • gold
  • Macclesfield
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2013, 10:10:10 AM »
Hello Paul

If you tell us where you are someone may be near enough to pop round and give you a helping hand.  I live in Macclesfield if it helps. 

Cheers   Dave

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2013, 10:33:07 AM »
It is nice of Dave Atkinson to offer to help in this matter by calling round to help.Not wishing to take this Thread off course it would be good if everyone added a location on their profile.

Regards John
John Smith

Offline burywoodturners

• gold
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2013, 07:54:59 PM »
I have a 15 year old Axminster M950 which I have had from new. The head stock spindle is 1mm higher than the tailstock centre and from other reports, they were all like it! The only problem is drilling. The main problem is not oversized hole as wandering bits, drilling from each end and the holes do not always line up, ok in a table lamp as the error is mall and unseen. The best answer is a really stiff drill bit, engineers bits rather than lip and spur, use these to start the hole before putting a longer bit in.
Ron