Author Topic: Piercing tools  (Read 4348 times)

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
Piercing tools
« on: February 19, 2014, 08:34:24 PM »
I would be interested in hearing what piercing tools there are out there. I use an Axminster one and a Dremel, both with flexi drives but think I need/want something faster.

Offline georg

• TONY & DI
  • platinum
    • Anthony George
Re: Piercing tools
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2014, 09:08:15 PM »

Hi JOHN  I bought Diane a MASTERCARVER MICRO PRO a while ago, I think we got it from Classic Hand Tools.

Di used to use a flexi one but had a lot of trouble with the weight.
     The masterncarver is quite light easy to control and as its own speed control.up to 45000rpm
     Hope this helps
     Tony.
"If you always do what you always done, you always get what you always got" 

http://www.anthonygeorge.net/

Offline Philip Green

• bronze
    • No Mans Land
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2014, 09:33:59 PM »
Here's a review of the Master Carver: http://www.woodworkersinstitute.com/page.asp?p=2557
Philip from sunny St Issey

• platinum
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2014, 07:33:39 AM »
Thanks guys.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2014, 08:10:41 AM »
John,

if you have an Airline in your workshop, you can purchase an air powered dental tool holder on eBay quite cheaply, they run much faster than any motor powered system.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

• platinum
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2014, 01:44:05 PM »
Yes I've seen them. The only air line that I have is for my airbrush and I don't think that will produce the volume required but that would be my ultimate dream.

Offline Eric Harvey

• platinum
  • Craters project no.1
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2014, 11:55:37 AM »
I have a B+Q one that`s about 8-9 yrs old now,was sold as a plasterboard trimmer,with added flexydrive,it has a 700 watt motor,and i just got a Dremel chuck adapted at an engineering co. to fit the thread on my flexydrive,cost £29 but worth it with the time it saves changing collets.The speed range is 20.000-35.000 rpm,I`ve found the Proxxon solid carbide mill/drill cutters work really well at these speeds and no heat build up like you get with highspeed steel,I use the 1 mm and 2 mm cutters,found the 3 mm cutters do their own thing as their to hard to control without the router adapter fitted.
welcome to my woodturning world

• platinum
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2014, 12:24:25 PM »
Thanks Eric,
               I agree about the 3mm cutters, they do seem to have a mind of their own so i don't bother using them.
    When I first started doing pierced work I would use different size drill bits and then "join the dots" but as things progressed I got a Dremel and now have one of the Axminster thingys with a flexi drive, which is Ok but now I think I need a faster tool(revolutions wise not work wise) because I want to do finer work than what I am doing at the moment.

Andy Coates

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2014, 01:33:10 PM »
I use V1 of the unit sold by John Woods at www.woodart-products.co.uk Great tool.

I use the burrs from Ian Metheringham

http://www.woodart-products.co.uk/3_rotary%20handpiece.php

• platinum
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2014, 09:02:45 AM »
Thanks Andy, a bit out of my price range I'm afraid.

Offline Eric Harvey

• platinum
  • Craters project no.1
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2014, 11:43:08 AM »
Joey Richardson reccomended an air rotory tool,but with the compressor and evrything it worked out at over a £1.000 for the kit,and the new veins for the handpiece I think were around a £100 each when one wears out,would love to try one though,see how different they work at 360.000 rpm instead of 35.000 rpm of my one.
welcome to my woodturning world