Author Topic: New Workshop  (Read 17876 times)

Offline Katchin

• bronze
New Workshop
« on: May 24, 2013, 11:24:08 AM »
Hi all,
Well i'm having my small workshop replaced by a larger one. In fact my old workshop has already been torn down, and a large concrete slab laid ready to accept whatever goes on it. But i've had various thoughts and think I should ask a question or two.
Is leaving a bare concrete floor a good idea? I'm thinking of bolting the lathe down as the only reason for this.
How think should I be thinking of ordering the wood on the walls? i'm thinking mainly of security here
Should I get a dust extractor built into one of the walls or should I go for an internal 'bag it and empty it' type?

I have had to place a wooden workshop type to get around various planning regulations, rather than have had a proper building built.
John Simon Lawrenson

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
Re: New Workshop
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2013, 11:34:49 AM »
A concrete floor is good but get some decent mats on it or you will be aching all over. If you can afford it external extraction is better IMHO. As far as the walls are concerned if you can double skin them with some insulation for winter it would be a good idea, again, just my preference.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

thebowlerhattedturner

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2013, 11:43:41 AM »
Hi Katchin,
             exciting times for you ahead. Personally I can see no problem with a concrete floor although you may want to paint it with garage floor paint to aid sweeping up.I would recommend anti-fatigue matting infront of your bench and lathe just to ease the strain on the old legs and for a bit of warmth.
      If the workshop walls have exposed studwork construction I think you should consider lining them with Stirling board or ply and at the same time you can insulate them, for noise aswell as warmth. It will also offer a little bit more security than just the external cladding will.This will also allow you to fix stuff to the walls, tool racks,plug sockets and such like.
 Regarding your extraction you should buy the best you can afford but I work quite happily with a bag type. If you had a Camvac or similar you may wish to build a soundproof box to put it in.
  I am sure you will get other opinions on this but hope it helps.
Regards
John BHT

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2013, 11:57:50 AM »
Hi Katchin....Exciting times! I recently converted my garage into a workshop and had to do something about the concrete floor. The concrete was badly ridged - the builders were obviously looking forward to their next tea break! - and it was a killer on the old Achilles heel after an hour of standing in there. What I did was to buy full2" x 1" tantalised battens and lay a gridwork of them on the floor with 1" thick polystyrene insulation inbetween them. Nothing was fixed to the concrete, it just sits on it. Where my bench was going for the lathe I doubled up the frequency of the battens, and then laid 18mm t&g chipboard flooring over it, screwed onto the battens. My only concern is over the chipboard being a bit too smooth when it was very new, but it's ok now.
I realise that the biggest, heaviest machines in a professional workshop might well need to be bolted to the concrete first, but that should be no problem. At least this system remains flexible and is fairly easy to re-configure if ever you need to change the layout.....and it's warm under foot!
Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline Katchin

• bronze
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2013, 12:11:03 PM »
Thanks all. Actually I doubt I even have to bolt my lathe down, it was more of a badly worded question as to whether I should or not.
I haven't ordered a shed/workshop yet, if I order a pre fabricated one it will come with a floor anyway, if I get one custom built it will probably cost a fortune. Bit of a dilemma really!
John Simon Lawrenson

Offline Katchin

• bronze
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2013, 12:35:41 PM »
Just out of curiosity, has anyone on here built their own wooden workshop building? I just received a quote from a local man saying £1400 just for the labour, materials not included. I'm sort of leaning towards building it myself right now, cannot be that hard surely.
John Simon Lawrenson

Offline julcle

• platinum
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2013, 01:34:44 PM »
Hi Katchin - I built mine about Ten Years ago now, a long time before woodturning was in my mind but I went to the local planners and asked what was the biggest shed I could build in my location without planning permision and just did it. The shed is 6m x 4m  and 2.4m high, Concrete floor, 1m cavity block with timber on top. The roof is tiled. all insulated with double glazed windows and double doors to the side (Home Made). Electricity is brought down from the house with SWA Cable so 20A capacity without voltage drop. The whole lot cost me £1500, the biggest cost was the pressure treated shiplap cladding around the outside. Insulation is all verry well and keeps the noise in and ok in the winter but in the summer it is still very cold in there even when the temp outside it hot so build a chimney and put in a wood burner. I will see if I can post a picture over the weekend. I have to say that I did all the work myself so no labour cost.   Julian
Crowvalley Woodturners
Julian

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2013, 02:47:24 PM »

Hi John, I'm with Julian on the self build if time permits, as you've a large concrete slab laid, was it reinforced and damp proofed, could you lay a one block high base onto it, damp proof, then stud frame on that and Bob's not by chance a Builder Friend .. or Tommy Walsh, now that was a build with his Shop..

I had to buy in the Shop and I have HD 12x10 the price 3 yrs ago was £1200 + something on delivery..  The power for it will still cost at last count before 20% vaaaat  £ 500 to 600 depending on power points .. and you need the more the merrier in points.

A look at the Shop I have is selling for close to £1600 now...

What ever you do lets is some pics as you go.

Cheers   David

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline Katchin

• bronze
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2013, 04:29:02 PM »
Well just been to Oakenclough Buildings Ltd. and got a quote from them for the building, delivery and installation.
14"x13" building, with double doors, and either 1' or 1.5' cladding.

£3928 or £4308 depending upon the cladding. Wow. I should build buildings for a living.

I have no doubt this building would stand the test of time however. And that it would be built much better than I can do. But that's still a lot of money.
John Simon Lawrenson

thebowlerhattedturner

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2013, 06:21:07 PM »
Katchin,
           have a look at the Wickes catalogue.There is a 2.6 X 2.6 log cabin for £874.
You could get it up in a day.
Regards
John BHT

Offline Katchin

• bronze
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2013, 06:39:04 PM »
yes I see that one, slightly dubious about having windows actually, for security reasons. its also a little small, but the Soma 212 one at 3.65m x 3.05m isn't too bad. Thicker wall too at 28mm. But windows again. Oh decisions decisions.
John Simon Lawrenson

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2013, 06:47:50 PM »
Just out of curiosity, has anyone on here built their own wooden workshop building? I just received a quote from a local man saying £1400 just for the labour, materials not included. I'm sort of leaning towards building it myself right now, cannot be that hard surely.

Well just been to Oakenclough Buildings Ltd. and got a quote from them for the building, delivery and installation.
14"x13" building, with double doors, and either 1' or 1.5' cladding.

£3928 or £4308 depending upon the cladding. Wow. I should build buildings for a living.

I have no doubt this building would stand the test of time however. And that it would be built much better than I can do. But that's still a lot of money.

Labour sorted .. The base is down ... What price the materials to build what you'd like, your have £2500 for them against the Oakenclough lowest price, shopping round should get some deals or better materials .. then I know how the best set budgets, and that's the game, can go over.

The first HD Workshop I got from Homebase out of their catalogue I sent back ...  Sooo badly put together, it would have blown over, let alone re-nail half of it.

Cheers   David

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline wellturnedout

• iron
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2013, 07:33:01 PM »
Hi Katchin, I have not long ago built my own workshop.  It is 7mtrs x 3.2mtrs, constructed of 38x 63 cls timber with 18mm shiplap on the outside, 4" loft insulation in the frame and 18mm flooring chipboard lining the inside. The roof is 18mm osb3 board covered with a firestone rubber membrane in one piece, totally waterproof. I have mounted mine directly onto the concrete base but I wrapped the frame in damp proof membrane and sealed to concrete with mastic sealer. If you would like any more details please contact me.   I live in Braunton in north devon and you would be welcome to come and view it if you do not live too far away.Nigel Griffin

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2013, 07:39:55 PM »
David,

we're having one put up in a few weeks, 1 1/4" cladding 5.8m x 3.6m at £3400. It'll be my finishing room and a workplace for Rosemary in the summer (if we get a summer?)

That does not include the groundworks either!
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline julcle

• platinum
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2013, 10:44:33 AM »
Hi Katchin --  These should show the basic construction.
Crowvalley Woodturners
Julian