Author Topic: Info/advice needed re Startrite bandsaw  (Read 7935 times)

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
Info/advice needed re Startrite bandsaw
« on: May 21, 2013, 09:43:38 PM »
I have a big, 3phase Startrite bandsaw. with a ten-inch depth of cut and 14" throat, but I don't have a 3-phase supply, so I decided to sell it and buy a decent single phase bandsaw. I mentioned the saw on this forum, in the 'for sale' column and didn't get any response, so I've been following several similar saws (all by Startrite) on e-bay. The thing is, that not a single bid has been placed on any one of them, and a few of them have been re-listed several times each. On the other hand, the single phase ones gets snapped up for good prices. I've therefore decided to replace the motor with a single phase motor, and keep the saw....it's capacity and build quality will be a very useful addition to my little workshop. Tonight, I took the 3-phase motor out of the bandsaw, but the plate is missing off it. I can see that it's a Brook, but have no idea what size. It dwarfs the half-horse motor on my lathe, being easily three times the size.

1....does anyone know what size motor a Startrite 14-S-1 saw was fitted with (incidentally, it was originally a single speed saw, but has had a set of v-belt pulleys fitted to give it 5 speeds)?
2....does anyone know what speed the motor should run at?

Finally, when I bought the saw, it came with a fitted, Startrite blade welding attachment, which is a big, heavy unit attached the back of the saw body. Blade is bought in rolls and this attachment cuts the length that you want off the roll, then the two ends are cleaned by the grinding wheel, butted together in its vice and then butt welded and annealed, before grinding off to clean the join. I'll be selling this unit, with a manual, if anyone is interested....just name a price, it's got to go!

Cheers guys....Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline Bellringer75

• copper
Re: Info/advice needed re Startrite bandsaw
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2013, 09:46:07 PM »
could you not get a three phase inverter

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2013, 10:27:35 PM »
could you not get a three phase inverter
...it would be possible, but I'd still need to know what the original motor is rated at....wouldn't I?

Les

Offline Dave Atkinson

• Global Moderator
  • gold
  • Macclesfield
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2013, 11:37:16 AM »
Hi Les

Why not get in touch with Startrite for some advice: http://www.startrite.co.uk/index.php?section=contact?

just realised that's part of record and I;ve always found them very helpful with any queries I've had in the past.

Cheers Dave
« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 11:38:52 AM by Dave Atkinson »

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2013, 12:09:52 PM »
Thanks Dave....I didn't realise that Record were handling that, I'll certainly give it a go. meanwhile, a few members have contacted me on personal messages, so at least some information is already coming through.
many thanks....Les

Offline julcle

• platinum
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2013, 05:00:57 PM »
Hi Les  --  I have a Startrite 352 Single Phase which is similar in size to yours, let me know how you get on. If you still need it I will see what the rating of my motor is and let you know.  Julian
Bye the way, good to meet you briefly at the show last Saturday.
Crowvalley Woodturners
Julian

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2013, 06:52:01 PM »

Hi Les,  Not knowing the Startrite, anymore than my own Elektra Beckums Motor or Wiring ...   ;D ..  :-[ .. Do you have a plate of any sort on the Saw, Motor or Wiring Box cover to the Motor which should/could carry the details ...  as the Motor cover in my own post regarding my Saw ..  'then it stopped' ..

Keep hunting, tooo good a Saw to give up from the sounds of it.

David

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2013, 07:22:52 PM »

Do you have a plate of any sort on the Saw, Motor or Wiring Box cover to the Motor

....afraid not David....there's a mounting place on the motor housing, but the plate is missing.

As you say, though, too good a saw to loose so I'll get it going, somehow!
Les

Andy Coates

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2013, 06:52:04 PM »
I found this. it was on a private sale advert for the same model as yours. not too clear but may be some use...

Andy

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2013, 08:48:45 PM »
Hi Andy, and thanks for the tip-off. Sorry I haven't replied for a few days, but have just got home to find the pic that you posted in this thread. Do you have any more info on this.....a contact address or link to the advert, please?
Cheers...Les