Author Topic: Alder & Almond- what are they like  (Read 2930 times)

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
Alder & Almond- what are they like
« on: May 20, 2013, 12:05:58 PM »
Hi....has anyone ever turned Alder or Almond? There's a 12" diam x 3" disc of almond in a batch I'm trying to buy, plus a 14"diam x3" disc of alder. I'm buying the batch mainly for the English walnut, olive ash and sycamore, but it might be interesting to try these as well.....they all come as a job lot.
Any info will be appreciated.
Les
« Last Edit: May 20, 2013, 12:08:17 PM by gwyntog »
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
Re: Alder & Almond- what are they like
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2013, 12:33:20 PM »
Les,

Almond, or any Nut Wood is fantastic to turn they are woods I always look out for.

Alder, can be variable (it is Alder not Elder?). Turns reasonably but can be bland of feature and fibrious. On the other hand if it's got any colour it can be interesting. But it splits very easily.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2013, 12:40:25 PM »
Thanks Bryan....the Almond sounds interesting. Yes, it is Alder, not Elder - although what you say suggests that it's nothing special. but as I said, I'm really after the other blanks that come with it.
Thanks...Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

thebowlerhattedturner

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2013, 01:04:53 PM »
Hi Les.
         Almond is quite nice to turn,alder can be a bit iffy sometimes but think of the experience you will gain.
Regards
John BHT

ravenge

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2013, 12:54:23 AM »
Alder is a nice wood to turn but can be VERY prone to tear-out, use freshly sharpened tools for that finish cut, a few year ago I was lucky enough to get same Scottish wild alder which turned beautifully, as for almond, that's a wood I have never turned (but would love to give it a go) from what I hear it is similar to some of the fruit woods so should be very nice!!!