Author Topic: Advice before I turn a lump of elm burr  (Read 7580 times)

Offline David Buskell

• gold
    • At The Cutting Edge
Re: Advice before I turn a lump of elm burr
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2013, 06:53:29 PM »
Les,

apologies for the use of shorthand. As has been said, last Saturday and Sunday was the Woodworks show at Daventry.

Nigel  is Nigel Fleckney of English Hardwoods in Geddington, Northants. Do have a look at his website. I know Nigel travels to clubs but don't think he goes out as far as Newport.

If you have links with anyone in the Midlands, they can get timber for you from Nigel.  I have to drive up from Croydon to see him and others come down from Leeds and further afield to see him. Well worth a trip to the sawmill if you're ever near Northampton.

David
David
At The Cutting Edge

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2013, 10:11:51 PM »
...and in my research into designs, i came across this....
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Handmade-Antique-Oak-Serving-Platter-Cheeseboard-Chopping-Board-/111068406004?pt=UK_Kitchen_Accessories&var=&hash=item19dc3160f4
...you've got to laugh, or else you'd cry. Not sure that I'd take up their suggestion and eat my fish and chips off it, though!
Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline David Buskell

• gold
    • At The Cutting Edge
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2013, 06:50:55 PM »
Don't knock 'em! Those chopping/serving/whatever boards sell well, especially if they are natural edge. Jamie Oliver always uses one as a chopping board, hence the recent popularity.
Only problem is with 3 coats of food safe finish, they go a bit dark.
David
David
At The Cutting Edge