Author Topic: WOODTURNING ON LINE  (Read 5032 times)

admalin

WOODTURNING ON LINE
« on: April 04, 2011, 12:35:09 PM »
I got WOL by email today.

Paul Hannaby, who was online just now, didn't mention it features his article on Safety. A couple of items I like are "Don't throw a sharp tool to someone else" and "If working in public keep your tools out of reach of people passing by". I run our club's tuition nights. Recently one of our new intake kept putting his hand on the work while it was still rotating, even putting his fingers inside. Having told him twice to stop doing it, I got exasperated and threatened to have him barred. Time will tell!!
So Paul if you ever update the article may I suggest adding "ALWAYS DO AS YOU'RE TOLD"

Also on this topic, how can we prevent beginners getting into bad habits when professional demonstrators don't practice what they preach? For example adjusting the tool rest without stopping the lathe. Sanding witout a mask. Etc.

And to conclude, are there any incidents of insurance claims?

Tony Malin

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
Re: WOODTURNING ON LINE
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2011, 02:21:26 PM »
Hi Tony,
I was aiming the article at the average individual working in their own workshop so doing as they are told wouldn't make much sense in that context.
I wasn't aware of the link from the woodturning online site so thanks for the info.
I doubt very much if my list covers all eventualities so if anyone does think of any more, I'll add them.

On the point about demonstrating, I usually use goggles rather than a visor because a visor can make my voice sound muffled, even with a microphone. I must admit during demos I don't usually wear a dust mask for the same reason but I usually try to minimise the amount of sanding I have to do.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 02:24:52 PM by Paul Hannaby »

Offline Dave Atkinson

• Global Moderator
  • gold
  • Macclesfield
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2011, 03:31:17 PM »
Hi Tony

I've been insurance officer for the AWGB for the last 2 years and in that time we have had one claim for a piece that was damaged at an exhibition.  We have not had any claims to do with injuries or other public liability events.

If you want to know more about insurance let me know.

Cheers Dave

admalin

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2011, 06:00:24 PM »
Thanks Dave

I worry about the cost of insurance, but I don't know the answer. We don't get a no claims discount, so we are forking out year after year just in case something drastic may happen. There clearly are risks, but in reality the likelihood of something really serious happening is shown to be low or even negligible. Likewise our equipment and stock are kept in a securely locked room in a pretty secure building. I suppose the cost is reflected in the premium which would escalate if there were to be say a fatality. I'd better stop worrying.

Tony Malin

Offline Dave Atkinson

• Global Moderator
  • gold
  • Macclesfield
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2011, 09:59:15 PM »
hello Tony

The cost of the Public Liability insurance to the AWGB is very competitive.

I've sent a PM to you about your other concerns.

Cheers Dave

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2011, 02:51:37 AM »

For anyone who hasn't seen Paul's Safety Advice here's the link:  http://www.hannaby.com/woodturning-safety.html ...  some very sound advice..
Interesting about de-dusting and NOT Pointing at one-self, it's something which is done..    :-[ ..  not that I've a compressor, but having worked commercially it has been done,
not to mention those who blow shavings from hollow forms at public shows.
As I'd always been told, read, digest and put into practise..
 Turn Safely.         David
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''