Author Topic: New Deer Antler Pot  (Read 4133 times)

Andy Coates

New Deer Antler Pot
« on: May 09, 2013, 05:22:22 PM »
Yew. 6" D 14" tall. Hollow with deer antler finial lid...

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
Re: New Deer Antler Pot
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2013, 05:32:21 PM »
Hi Andy...I love the shape of that pot and the antler makes it quite a 'talking piece', but where on earth did you get a lump of yew that size, free from splits and cracks?
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2013, 06:29:28 PM »
Andy,

that's awesome looking, I'm really liking it.

I hear there is an over population of Deer in the country, now where did I leave my rifle!
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Andy Coates

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2013, 07:22:19 PM »
Glad you liked it, Drangonfly...it's a Muntjac antler. I'm lucky enough to live in a rural area where there are a) lots of Muntjac and b) lots of bad drivers who seem to hit them with worrying regularity. At worst I cut the antlers off with a hacksaw, at best I see them hit the Deer and I always collect the animal and butcher it for the freezer.

Gwyntog...Yew is by no means rare, and certainly not in this size. And as it happens this was one of the most fractured pieces I've turned in ages. The trick is learning how to seal the cracks without the staining making it a failed piece.

Mark Sanger

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2013, 07:27:51 PM »
Hi Andy

Love this piece, I was recently given a very large antler about 3 ft in length, mine is destined for Nesuke, whn I get the time that is.

Love the main wood form of this piece and the antler compliments this well. I could see myself walking through the woods with this, strapped to my side, full of brandy, just in case.  :)

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2013, 07:28:35 PM »
The trick is learning how to seal the cracks without the staining making it a failed piece.

So....if there's a master-class coming about this, Andy, I'd be all ears. I have had to 'close' a couple of splits in yew and I have terrible trouble with the staining.

Gwyntog (Les)

Andy Coates

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2013, 07:39:11 PM »
It's no secret, Les.

The wood stains because it isn't sealed, so you need to seal the area around the crack before applying high viscosity CA glue. What you intend to do with the piece afterwards has an influence on how you seal...so if you're going to colour it then sanding sealer, if oil/wax then you can seal around the crack with a finger dipped in oil and wipe around the crack. Apply thin CA so it wicks into the crack. Quickly wipe the top CA away with a rag. Fill crack with very fine dust...same colour as wood if you have it. Spray with CA activator. 400g rub down and repeat if required.

Then when you abrade the whole vessel the staining should minimal at worst.

If there are LOTS of cracks, as there were with this piece, I also "wash" the inside of the vessel with 60/40 PVA & WATER to seal the inner cracks.

And remember...Yew is VERY susceptible to heat checking from over zealous abrading. So abrade slow and keep the cloth moving, stop after every grade to let the vessel cool.

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2013, 07:45:39 PM »
Andy....that's what I'm finding so useful about this forum and why I am so appreciative of the help that you guys have given me. i might well have spent hours searching for that sort of info else-where - and probably not found as clear an answer. I keep a scrap-book of images and info that I find in the forum, so this will be cut and pasted into it.

Many thanks....Les

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2013, 12:44:43 AM »

Venison and Red Wine ... Like the pot, yew done a great job there, but not sure on the Antler.

Cheers   David

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline Turners cabin

• bronze
    • Turners Cabin
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2013, 10:10:53 AM »
Fantastic form and design Andy the antler is not to my tasted but