Author Topic: Craft work is NOT creative. may become official  (Read 11680 times)

arcos

Re: Craft work is NOT creative. may become official
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2013, 01:38:12 AM »
They are all nuts...  ???

Signed!

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2013, 06:36:56 AM »
Guy's to help spread this I've posted it to the local FB craft sites - you might want to think the same way, and to any other similar sites you use.

Ohh, you've already done it - I'll shut up then!
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

YewTube

« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2013, 11:01:53 AM »
Whenever I see someone urging me to sign a petition I feel I should know something about it.

So the Government are going to designate 'Craft work' as not being creative. Those right wing Etonian tory toffs are up to something. They are going to make you work in your own shed studio at the bottom of the garden and make a pittance if you are not part of the 'Creative' community. No, it can't be that as that is what you do now.

I have not got any more conspiracy theories at the moment so when all else fails I'll go and read the government documents.

What I find is that the government produce statistics and there is a category for the Creative Industries in which is the Craft Industry and it is being dropped because, I quote

"The creative industries estimates also say that the majority of businesses in this sector are thought to be too small to be picked up in business surveys."

Which basically says, "It is too small to be bothered with."

The petition quotes a £30bn contribution to the economy from 88,000 people. That is a turnover of £34,000 per person. Take material, rent, rates and utilities out of that and you probably qualify for Working Tax Credits.

I've finally got it!

Future legislation - if Craft Work is not a Creative Industry you won't be eligible for Working Tax Credit.

Those Tory b*&$@£ds.

Bill

Andy Coates

« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2013, 07:43:47 PM »
It also means that "craft workers" will be ineligible for certain GovT department grants because they are not creative.

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2013, 11:08:51 PM »

It could imply, if they go after getting people back to work via Business start-ups, as has been done before and so many have applied as what is usually Home (cottage) craft work .. this would count such out, I saw crafts were the most for Business Start-ups when done in the 90's .. £10 extra on your dole money be attending and drawing up a Business Plan for something you may never start.

Could it be a discrete survey, a check, given it takes your details, why has X or Z got upset to sign ..  no record as a craftsperson .. what do they do on the side .. knock .. knock .. Your shed at the bottom of the garden .. bin full of shaving .. sir .. lot less hassle than hunting to catching people at Craft Fairs, The Boot or Ebay .. there's somewhere that is taking or will take an account of all your sales/transactions and will it ever be as claimed for your advantage.

Big Brother can see you and me ...  ;D ..

David
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Mark Sanger

« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2013, 10:27:40 AM »
I am not one to sign petitions but this is just plain stupid. The government apparently wants to class craftwork as 'non creative.' If any else finds this as degrading and ridiculous as I do the address for the petition can be found here

Pete

Most of what the government do to us and our country I find degrading and ridiculous, so this is nothing new, I am amazed the morons have nothing better to do than come up with more constructive ways of spending our money than paying for some prat in an office to think up totally useless reforms.

Worse thing Guy Forkes ever did was get caught. :) Now I expect Mi5 will knock at my door to arrest me on terrorism charges.  :)

YewTube

« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2013, 11:58:44 AM »
Andy

To get a government grant for a business you go along to the appropriate department and present them with a business plan that takes yourself and others out of the benefit system, create exports or increase the national wealth. Wearing a hat with 'Creative Industry' won't cut it.

David

Better conspiracy theory than mine. I think I will adopt yours.

Mark

Isn't the pratt in the office suggesting that they stop wasting money trying to produce statistics for something that is insignificant?

Bill

Mark Sanger

« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2013, 12:06:26 PM »

Mark

Isn't the pratt in the office suggesting that they stop wasting money trying to produce statistics for something that is insignificant?

Bill

Probably but the fact that they have an office at all for this sort of stuff is a massive waste of resources in itself, still they need something to do to keep them from real progress.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2013, 12:24:48 PM by Mark Sanger »

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2013, 01:53:34 PM »
Andy

To get a government grant for a business you go along to the appropriate department and present them with a business plan that takes yourself and others out of the benefit system, create exports or increase the national wealth. Wearing a hat with 'Creative Industry' won't cut it.

David

Better conspiracy theory than mine. I think I will adopt yours.

Mark

Bill

Hi Bill,  They could even be checking on who's who on the forums and if or what you do & sell, why few may not post, less known the better.. Like I'd been told a few years ago about checks on Small Ads and cards in Shop Windows .. the likes of Odd Jobs done & Man with Van ..

Mark, that wasting of OUR money, I'm never asked, but it's the likes of you & me who could answer their statistics .. just who do they ever ask !!!!.. Then Volunteers take these polls don't they.. so what's the costs.

They talk of cuts/closures of Departments at Stafford and Cannock Hospitals .. News paper reads £3+million spent on finding statistics etc .. to save what 1.5 million !!!! losses ... 

We both could end up in the Mi5 Turners Club ..  ;D .. got a go Knock at door...

karyudo

« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2013, 02:27:34 PM »

Mark

Bill

Probably but the fact that they have an office at all for this sort of stuff is a massive waste of resources in itself, still they need something to do to keep them from real progress.

Are you suggesting that there is no need for national statistics?

Would it be better for politicians, for whom incidentally I have no more regard than you, to make decisions that affect us all without having any facts on which to base them? Surely they make enough of a mess when they have the information.

Apologies if I have mistaken your meaning.

thebowlerhattedturner

« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2013, 03:32:48 PM »
I don't think they should bother using statistics anyway as 79.5% of all statistics are wrong! ;D ;D
Regards
John BHT
( PS.My tax is fully paid for this year) :'(

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2013, 03:43:11 PM »
I don't think they should bother using statistics anyway as 79.5% of all statistics are wrong! ;D ;D
Regards
John BHT
( PS.My tax is fully paid for this year) :'(

We're in April 2013-14 ..    My forms have come in for when ...

David

Mark Sanger

« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2013, 05:27:06 PM »

Mark

Bill

Are you suggesting that there is no need for national statistics?

Would it be better for politicians, for whom incidentally I have no more regard than you, to make decisions that affect us all without having any facts on which to base them? Surely they make enough of a mess when they have the information.

Apologies if I have mistaken your meaning.

Hi no you have not misunderstood me, I was being facetious as I find anything to do with politicians hilarious. I just can't take anything to do with them seriously.

I do agree that there is of course a need for statistics, stats will save us all and I have faith that the politicians will use the stats for the better of the community/country and not as a tool to further their own argument/parties and own gains.

Of course I shudder at the suggestion as they would never such a thing, they are the most honest, morally upstanding pillars of our society with a selfless desire to help the people less fortunate than themselves.    

Every morning when I wake up and pull back the curtains I am happy in my day as I know that I am in safe hands.

Still I have taken the thread off track for which I apologise and leave it for it to be returned to the original content.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2013, 05:31:47 PM by Mark Sanger »

karyudo

« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2013, 05:35:08 PM »
Quite so and I apologise too for my part in taking the thread off topic.

I wonder though, facetiousness apart, whether this fascile piece of legislation will actually have any real impact on anything at all.

Mark Sanger

« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2013, 05:40:45 PM »
Quite so and I apologise too for my part in taking the thread off topic.

I wonder though, facetiousness apart, whether this fascile piece of legislation will actually have any real impact on anything at all.

Genuinely I wonder too if it will have any real impact, I am sure I will still have to work as hard as I normally, ( which I enjoy doing, got to have something constructive to do with my time).

Even if it does have an impact there will be little I can do about it, and I live by the maxim that if I can change something I will try if needs be, if I can't then I just forget about it and get on with the daily rituals or frustration only reins.