Poll

Where can I buy ?

In the UK
1 (33.3%)
Or even in Wales
2 (66.7%)

Total Members Voted: 2

Author Topic: Centre finders ?  (Read 2950 times)

Jacktownhill

Centre finders ?
« on: May 04, 2013, 12:49:01 PM »
Has anyone knowledge as to where I can purchase a Perspex Disc Centre finder ?

I believe they used to be stocked by Craft Supplies & are indeed available from the USA .

They are known there as "Bulzeye" Centre Finders ?

I tried Axminster - Stiles & Bates - Turners retreat without success.

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
Re: Centre finders ?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2013, 01:16:57 PM »
Jack,  it is under Stiles & Bates as: http://www.stilesandbates.co.uk/search.php?search=layout+centre+marker&submit.x=28&submit.y=9 ... it's just in the name they call it, vote wise could be in both ..

Cheers  David

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline Philip Greenwood

• bronze
  • Professional Woodturner. North Yorkshire
    • Woodturning into Art
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2013, 02:03:37 PM »

Jacktownhill

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2013, 02:27:12 PM »
Hi Philip - The one in Axminster is a Rectangular unit & seemingly available from most UK suppliers.

I certainly missed seeing the Axminster unit - Which is indeed the one I'm looking for - This Forum is always an interesting place on which to seek advice.

Thanks for the instant responses - Jack

Offline Woodcrafts

• bronze
  • Passing on skills to the next generation
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2013, 12:34:36 AM »
Hi Jack, the 'Bullseye' finders are extremely easy to make yourself. Just get some cheap acrylic, some suppliers even have offcuts for free. I leave mine as a square sheet as it fits down the side of my toolbox.
I drill a hole in the centre, of the right diameter to take a bradawl point, then use a set of dividers to scribe circles at 5mm spacing. Then drill a 1.5mm hole on each of the circles which will allow you to insert a pencil point. I drill those in  a spiral pattern which reduces the chances of the sheet splitting along the line of holes.
They are great for getting the best circle out of irregular shaped logs etc. not just finding the centre of circles.

If you want, I can post a picture of mine, but the earlier posts, of 'commercial' ones are probably sufficient.

One thing I should point out, my business has nothing to do with the American company of the same name which sells the Bullzeye centre finder, that was just coincidence many years ago.

Regards,
Paul Bellamy - Woodcrafts