Author Topic: Chair doctor  (Read 2138 times)

thebowlerhattedturner

Chair doctor
« on: May 03, 2013, 05:09:26 PM »
Hello All,
           having a birthday dinner at home this evening so today I had to repair the chair that I had promised to do weeks ago, I have been informed that I will now have to do all the other chairs in the next few weeks :'(
My question is, as I am too lazy to take all of the chairs to bits and clean up the joints, remove all the old glue and reassemble ( so basically do the job right)has anyone used the product called "The chair Doctor"? and is it any good?(so that I have an easier time of it)
Or does anyone have a cheat for me.
Regards
John BHT

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
Re: Chair doctor
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2013, 07:00:05 PM »
I've used it, If you have a gap big enough to get the needle applicator in it's good stuff.

It causes the wood fibre to swell and then the glue part of the liquid does it's job.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Neil Lawton

• iron
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2013, 07:12:57 PM »
Hi John.
I've used chair doctor glue quite a lot, in the past, and had great success with it.
It works by penetrating the end grain of the Tenon, causing it to swell, which locks the joint tight.
It works especially well with older furniture that was glued with animal, or hide glue.
It does work with more modern furniture, but if someone was a bit "over generous " with the PVA, on assembly, then it can't penetrate as much, though the results have still been satisfactory.
Hope this helps,
Neil.

thebowlerhattedturner

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2013, 11:52:26 PM »
Thanks for your comments guys, I think this is the way to go as the furniture was made by my wife's Grandfather so animal glue was used  but I noticed today that he didn't use a lot of it. But they are nice chairs  and worth sorting out a bit.
Regards
JohnBHT