Author Topic: Hollowing Tool (Allan Batty)  (Read 6241 times)

galerg

Hollowing Tool (Allan Batty)
« on: May 02, 2013, 12:42:37 PM »
Can anyone help me identify the hollowing tool used by Allan Batty on his master-class thread chasing DVD , it is used to make the initial hollow before making the female thread it seems to be a scraper type tool with one parallel edge and one angled edge almost coming to a point at the tip , I have searched all the usual suppliers sites but to no avail , hopefully someone out there has had the same problem but been able to solve it.

Thanks

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
Re: Hollowing Tool (Allan Batty)
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2013, 02:49:38 PM »
Hi galerg...have you, by any chance, got an image or a link to a video/youtube that we can see?

Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Richard Stapley

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2013, 03:05:38 PM »
I think you will find this is a Tool he has formed, probably from a Flat Scrapper, to primarily relieve the area [undercut] where the Thread will stop.

Richard

galerg

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2013, 03:06:36 PM »
Regret not Les , the only place I have seen it is on my DVD , there is an excerpt of this on you tube but not that part which shows the tool in question.

galerg

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2013, 03:08:30 PM »
Hi Richard , no it's not the slot cutting tool I'm aware of that one , this is in addition to that .

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2013, 03:17:02 PM »
If I've got it right, this link should go to a pdf, I think you are refereing to the 3rd tool down.

http://www.woodspriteturnings.com/sites/penta/index.php?option=com_docman&task=doc_download&gid=3&Itemid=7
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2013, 03:33:45 PM »
It looks pretty much the same as a box cutting tool. Easy enough to make your own if you have an old skew or some such tool.

pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

galerg

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2013, 03:40:57 PM »
Sorry not 3rd tool down I know that one it cuts the slot at the end of the thread to prevent the chasing tool going into the end of the box and stripping the thread.

galerg

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2013, 03:44:05 PM »
Hi Pete ,

It could well be a home made tool and looks like as you say it could easily be made from an old skew or something ,

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2013, 05:29:18 PM »

I've used a tool that sounds like this with John Berkeley, don't recall it fully and not on his chasing tool list on his website, it could have been an Ashly Iles, but like to have been a Bill Jones spin off...  A quedtion for John or email Allan himself.

Happy Hunting.

David
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Nick Arnull

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2013, 09:07:27 PM »
I think the tool you are refering to Alan called the inside out tool check out this link it has a scraper that I think may be what you are looking for.
Link: http://www.goldturners.com/uploads/2/2/1/1/2211223/woodturning_notes1.pdf

galerg

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2013, 10:14:54 PM »
Hi Nick,

That's the one but still can't locate a supplier but will keep searching at leas I have a name for the tool to search on .

Many thanks

Nick Arnull

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2013, 06:44:21 AM »
Im afraid I dont think you will find a suplier it was one he ground for the job,
 you could buy a standard box scraper and change it to suit your needs.

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2013, 09:38:01 AM »
Nick...thanks for the link through to goldturners and the Allan Batty Woodturning Notes. As a (mostly) self-taught turner, this document has proven to be very useful on a number of counts. I can see a few issues with its age, in that there are new initiatives that I learn from you guys, but it's mostly good, sensible stuff.
Thanks...Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

galerg

« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2013, 10:23:46 AM »
Hi Nick,

Thanks for your efforts the link I found very useful and looking at the DVD again I think that there is a Sorby box scraper I could modify so Ill give it a try.