Author Topic: unknown exotic 2  (Read 4296 times)

Andy Coates

unknown exotic 2
« on: April 27, 2013, 03:32:15 PM »
There seems to be a problem with image uploading today...looking at it now...

This is made from a blank I got at Yandles, and I cant remember the name of the exotic wood. Any ideas?

The lid is made from a core taken from the bowl, hence the addition of a ring of sycamore (itself re-claimed from the waste of a sycamore bowl's underside) and the finial was a scrap of ebony.

I wouldn't rush to turn this wood again. It required a negative rake scraper to finish and whilst hard has a difficult grain and pores similar to palm wood. Not much fun to turn.

Wood ID would be great!

woody

Re: unknown exotic 2
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2013, 03:34:45 PM »
It looks quite like Imbuya but that is quite nice to turn I must say it dose look great but myself I think I would have made the ball on the finial a bit smaller but thats just me
« Last Edit: April 27, 2013, 03:38:35 PM by woody »

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2013, 03:54:17 PM »

A look on their website show stock as is: http://www.yandles.co.uk/content2.php/page/Timber%20Self%20Selection ....

...http://www.yandles.co.uk/browse.php/section/222/level/3 ... wonder if ...http://www.yandles.co.uk/browse.php/section/7377/level/4 ...  could it be Beli ... ???

It made a very nice piece and you got a good finish.

Cheers    David

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2013, 04:49:25 PM »

It looks like a wood called Chaprerno that I get via a furniture maker but as far as I know it isn't sold retail so is not likely to be at Yandles. Your description tallies as well. See here for a description

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

thebowlerhattedturner

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2013, 04:49:47 PM »
It looks like Goncalo Alves to me, sometimes it can be a pig to work but it takes a nice finish.
 I like this a lot Andy.
Regards
John BHT

Andy Coates

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2013, 05:36:00 PM »
BHT's suggestion was what I was thinking it was but it still didn't seem to match my dim memory of what was on the sticker...so I've just read down a LONG list of exotics and I'm pretty certain it is Ovangkol

I'll try and upload another image...the forum seemed to be having an off-day earlier!!

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2013, 06:20:29 PM »
Andy,

I always look forward to you posting something, it's always so different, and sometimes a challenge to see where the inspiration came from - no Inca's in this on then?

This is beautiful, the sloooow gentle sweep of the Ogee on the underside, the delicateness of the extended rim, and the lid with it's sycamore rim and detail groove.  The finial ball, to me it's just right, you keep it as it is.

Only one thing wrong - no dimensions?
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Online Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2013, 06:27:08 PM »
It reminds me of afromosia....I last used that when I was in school, but I do recall it having a few difficulties to work. i can still remember the smell, though; sweet, like cherry pie!
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2013, 06:31:23 PM »
Hi Andy, I haven't got a clue what the wood is but I like this piece very much I also was going to ask about the dimensions but Bryan beat me to it
also you have put this thread on twice but when clicking on the other one it comes up blank.
                                                                                                                            Regards John
John Smith

Andy Coates

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2013, 06:50:40 PM »
sorry Dragonfly...dimensions are 230mm D and 110mm tall with finial...

JohnD...I know...the forum software glitched and I'm trying to sort the problem now...damned nuisance

Offline malcy

• gold
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2013, 08:18:30 PM »
That's a really good looking piece. Lovely finish and form, and the sycamore ring on the lid really lifts the piece into another dimension. Excellent. Malcolm.

Mark Sanger

« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2013, 05:51:04 PM »
Not sure what the woods are, but it is a lovely well turned and finished piece.

Thanks for sharing.

Offline ken rodgers

• bronze
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2013, 09:40:49 PM »
Very nice piece Andy
Have got not a clue to what wood it is.
By the way I had difficulty up loading an image tonight had about six tries before it finally decided to except it.