Author Topic: Another old Oak vessel  (Read 5114 times)

Andy Coates

Another old Oak vessel
« on: April 26, 2013, 05:36:02 PM »
This is made from Oak beams that came from a demolished 200 year old barn in Norfolk.

I forgot to measure it, but it's about 6" diameter at the widest point. No nails or wire in this piece thankfully!

The "finial" is a Muntjac Antler from a road casualty I recovered (and ate!). The antler was turned to provide a tennon and to blend into the wood. The rest is pyro and alcohol stain. No lacquer yet as it was too damp today and I was worried about blooming.

Whilst essentially a box, it's unusable as such due to the small base and heavy finial. Purely a decorative piece.

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
Re: Another old Oak vessel
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2013, 05:58:53 PM »
If there's one thing that I've learnt since following the posts on this forum, it's that we newbies can never guess what you time-served guys are going to come up with next. This is so bold! I imagine that a piece as bold as this can be born of one (or both) of two things, a sharp mind's-eye for what's going to work, and the experience to know that it will. I'm not sure that I have either of those two attributes, but I do know that I like this piece.
I have a 8"x8"x8" lump of old oak beam in the workshop.......and it's staying on the shelf until I learn what to do with it.
Great piece......Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline Terry Miller

• bronze
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2013, 06:04:45 PM »
That is a beautiful piece Andy with the finial giving it another dimension. It will be interesting to see what it is like when lacquered because looking at the photos one would assume it was the finished article!!!
Regards
Terry
Regards

Terry

Offline TWiG

• gold
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2013, 06:38:31 PM »
Thats a coincidence !!  I recently finished a lidded hollow form with a handle/ finial of deer horn !!!  ( still cannot get pics up on this site !!!!)       Terry.....

Andy Coates

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2013, 06:48:20 PM »
Thanks Terry, Les & Twig...glad you like it...

Twig...try and follow the tutorial for image upload here: http://www.awgb.co.uk/awgbforum/index.php/topic,202.0.html

Offline TWiG

• gold
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2013, 06:55:38 PM »
I have tried many times but really am not very competent with computers , although I manage to send photos to other (unrelated ) websites  /forums etc   Terry ....  Ok if I send one to your website Andy ??    Terry..

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2013, 07:00:16 PM »
Like everything about this apart from the red, not sure about that. I think it would have enough wow factor without that. Once again down to personal taste. Can't fault the form or finish and love the antler. Just as well it wasn't a red deer, you'd have needed a bigger lump of wood to fit that on LOL

pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Andy Coates

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2013, 07:02:57 PM »
Twig...email it to me at cobwebcrafts@btinternet.com

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2013, 07:50:47 PM »
Andy,

from the top down;

The finial is amazing, after delicate turned ones, I really love to see natural items being used, The antler really works in this instance.

The pyro texture and colours are certainly 'in your face', red and black are two colours that have always worked well together for me and they do so here. I've asked before what your Red is and not been told, I might have to come peak in your workshop sometime!

The form - sorry, to my eye it looks unbalanced, the curve below the lid becomes too flat and then sits 'out-of-kilter' with the lid itself. To put it in my parlance - the curve is off.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2013, 11:15:01 PM »

There are sometimes off days ..  Aaah I know them well, don't give up the day job ..  this is ..   :o ..   ;D ..

Road kill .. hence the shovel ..  ;) ..

Cheers
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Andy Coates

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2013, 03:12:43 PM »
Hello Drangonfly...I thought I'd said what the colour medium was...it's red pigment in alcohol. Lovely colour and depth which I why I keep using it.

We'll have to disagree on the shape as it's exactly what I was aiming at. And I can assure you there are no flats on the curve. Perhaps I should photograph it more carefully. Quick shots with the iPhone don't help.

woodenD...I have no idea what that means but thanks!

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2013, 06:11:11 PM »
Andy,

to the eye of the maker it is correct, no more can be asked.

My view is, as I've always said, personal to me.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline malcy

• gold
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2013, 08:28:57 PM »
Andy. This is a nice piece. The first view it looks ok. The second view just makes me look twice to sse ot's the same piece as in the first view. The black and red colour contrast is stunning and smacks you in the face, very bold, but it really works. Add to that the textures and to me this is a winner especially with the antler finial as well. Great job. Malcolm.

thebowlerhattedturner

« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2013, 10:05:57 AM »
Andy,
        a very nice piece, I like the way it appears to have 2 textures, the grain enhanced by the red colouring and the applied texture.
I think the colours work very well together.
Regards
John BHT