Author Topic: Pyrography Tool  (Read 10821 times)

Offline Katchin

• bronze
Pyrography Tool
« on: April 22, 2013, 05:02:55 PM »
Hi, does anybody have a suggestion for a pyrography kit? This would be for a new pyrographer (not me as I wood(did you see what I did there?) be useless) that wants to future proof a little, up to around £100 or so, maybe a little more for a good tool.
I've seen a couple mentioned on here in the past but they were much higher priced.
John Simon Lawrenson

Andy Coates

Re: Pyrography Tool
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2013, 05:17:07 PM »
I cant think of one Id recommend at that price. The Peter Child pyro machine is closest and a good solid machine, but low powered compared with some others. The Burnmaster is a good machine but over that budget. The Woodart Products machine is my favourite but at 175 for the base model is well above.

I wouldn't recommend any of the sub £100 machines as they cool too quickly and are almost toys.

Andy

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2013, 06:14:19 PM »
We have the Peter Childs machine as well and for general work it is fine. There is the Davan which is made by someone in Wales, He doesn't have an online contact however. A friend who does a lot of pyro work and has books out on the subject uses a razertip which he swears by though that is more expensive. Anything cheaper is a waste of time especially any with solid tips as you are very limited in what you can do with them.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

thebowlerhattedturner

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2013, 06:44:31 PM »
Katchin,
           I use the Peter Child one, phone him direct he is very friendly and will give you very good advice. I have had no trouble with this machine whatsoever.
Regards
John BHT

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2013, 06:49:29 PM »
Hello John,
              I also have the Peter Childs Pyro machine and I have found it ok for the amount of times I use it.
One of the leading lights in Pyro. is Bob Neil and he uses the Peter Childs machine although the last time I saw him he did have another machine
I think it is also dependant on how much pyro work you are going to do.Regards John
John Smith

Offline Philip Green

• bronze
    • No Mans Land
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2013, 10:08:34 AM »
My wife wanted to have a go so after trying the cheap soldering iron type that I bought a couple of years ago, she bought one of the Peter Childs kits with second pen and DVD. We both find this an excellent tool, especially compared with the soldering iron type. The DVD is excellent as well.

Whatever you go for, don't forget to quote your AWGB membership number to qualify for any discount.
Philip from sunny St Issey

Offline Eric Harvey

• platinum
  • Craters project no.1
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2013, 10:36:16 AM »
I have the Axminster variable output woodburning station,had it about five years now,great piece of kit,does everything I need and its still only £82.50p,regards,

Eric.
welcome to my woodturning world

Offline John

• bronze
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2013, 11:41:54 AM »
Hi,
I have the Axminster m/c and it works well for me.
John
John English

Offline Katchin

• bronze
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2013, 09:52:04 PM »
Thanks all :)
John Simon Lawrenson

Peteg

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2013, 08:42:10 AM »
I'm have a burnmaster and quite happy with it for all I want to burn, depends on how far you want to go with pyro, you may still be in the  "I am not sure about pyro" or if you want to go the whole hog so to speak, there are numerious on line threads on building you own quite cheaply from old battery chargers, ( not a problem for me as an old 'sparky") but you may not want to dabble.
It's all good fun happy turning (I mean Burning) :)
pete

Offline julcle

• platinum
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2013, 09:18:35 PM »
Hi Pete  - I have never considered a self build but it is the way to go I am sure. would you have any links to in your opinion some of the better build sites ? I would also be interested to hear how you incorporate the different tips into a home made pen. I have had a look at some sites and to put it bluntly they seem to be a bit on the rough side to me.  Julian
Crowvalley Woodturners
Julian