Author Topic: Stained Bowl  (Read 4007 times)

Offline Martin Lawrence

• Global Moderator
  • gold
  • Kidderminster Worcestershire
Stained Bowl
« on: March 28, 2011, 07:38:06 PM »
Made from Macrocarpa, turned whilst green last year finished last week, stained green and yellow then about 15 coats of oil, then waxed. Measures 9" diameter and 5" high.

Comments welcome

Cheers Martin.

Martin Lawrence

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
Re: Stained Bowl
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2011, 07:53:25 PM »
Hi Martin,I love this piece,how do you manage to give it 15 coats of oil leaving 2 or 3 hours between coats? Regards John
John Smith

Offline Dave Atkinson

• Global Moderator
  • gold
  • Macclesfield
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2011, 07:45:20 AM »
Hi Martin

I love the colouring effect.  I shall have to get some serious shed time in and see what I can do.

Cheers Dave

Offline Martin Lawrence

• Global Moderator
  • gold
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2011, 10:26:24 AM »
Thanks Both,

John, I put a coat of oil on in the morning and leave it 24 hrs before applying another coat. it takes time but its the only way to get a real deep lustre I sand down between each coat using 1000 grit wet and dry up to 10 coats then buff each coat before applying 11 to 15. This usually means no need for burnishing after the last coat leave again for 24 hrs then I wax with Rennaisance wax.

Cheers Martin.
Martin Lawrence

DAVE BADKIN

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2011, 10:03:31 AM »
A lovely elegant bowl Martin,
                                            but are 15 coats really needed I would like to see one with only three coats next to on with 15 to appreciate the difference.  I would like to experiment more with colorizing and different methods of finishing myself.

Offline Martin Lawrence

• Global Moderator
  • gold
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2011, 11:09:13 AM »
Hi Dave,

You can get a shine with about 3 coats of finishing oil, but to get a real depth to the finish that I can not show in photo's as my photography knowledge can be written on the back of a postage stamp. I reality this piece has a superb depthof sheen to it that does not show in the pic and that depth can only be obtained with patience and time hence daily coats for 15 days. It takes only a few minutes to cut back and then apply a coat each day. A better pic of this method is shown in my hollow form called Sunrise listed in this gallery.

Cheers Martin.
Martin Lawrence

Offline ken rodgers

• bronze
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2011, 06:58:44 PM »
Hi Martin,
Very nice bowl, love the simple shape and colour.
Regards
ken