Author Topic: Oak Vase  (Read 4000 times)

Offline Roger Groom

• bronze
Oak Vase
« on: March 27, 2011, 09:25:17 PM »
Hi All
First posting for quite a while. This was turned from very wet Oak, from a chunk to one side of the pith of a sizeable trunk. I decided to turn it in one go rather than part turn and dry. The wall thickness is an even 3-4mm all over. The horizantal lines were done with a point tool, and the vertical lines were hand carved with a Flexicut blade. (superb bit of kit).
The finish was one I borrowed from an article in Woodturner on the inside back page. As usual in cases like this, I cant find the magazine to give him the credit. It is called Oakabolo. In the mag, it was sandblasted first but not in my case. It was ebonised with wire wool and vinegar, then sanded back to the bare wood, followed by coats of red and yellow Chestnut stains followed by several coats of Danish oil. The vase has moved considerably and I think that had I part turned it first it would have either split or gone so oval that I would not have got a vase out of it when returning to the lathe. The third picture shows the base and how much it has moved. It I find the mag I will update this post with the chaps name, or maybe someone else can. Fell free to lambast.

Offline Katchin

• bronze
Re: Oak Vase
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2011, 09:54:58 PM »
love it
John Simon Lawrenson

Offline Dave Atkinson

• Global Moderator
  • gold
  • Macclesfield
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2011, 09:16:11 AM »
Hi Roger

I like this effect.  I remember the article but I can;t remember his name either!

Cheers Dave

vic cracknell

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2011, 11:37:40 AM »
Hi Roger
The mans name is Andy Dipietro and was in issue no 223 Feb 2011
  Vic cracknell

Andy Coates

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2011, 04:49:05 PM »
Never read the article, but I have seen the vessel, and it's lovely. The ovoid shape is so perfect I asked if it was oval turned!

Offline Roger Groom

• bronze
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2011, 07:40:26 PM »
Hi Vic
Thanks for that Vic and thanks to Andy Dipietro for the method. It certainly is one I shall use again. Thanks also for all your comments.
Roger G