Author Topic: Newbie best way to get rid Of end grain tear Out after Turning A bowl  (Read 23761 times)

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
Hi George and Bill
                       Come on guys let it drop now shake hands and start again.I can see both sides of this thread but I would not like to see a falling out.

Regards John
John Smith

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
George,

Bill has asked for advice on his tooling problem. Any thoughts you have on what he does with his work afterwards he has not up for debate.

We are not all professional turners, but I'd hope we can all be professional enough to be polite and courteous. I know you are well meaning but your forthright manor can be disconcerting to people who don't know you.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
Hi You Guys, I do not know where Bill Lives I would like to suggest Bill tells us where he lives and someone near enough offers him a days tuition FOC
And prove to him what a good forum this is.Regards John
John Smith

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
George, That is a great offer and very generous of you I do hope Bill is in a position to take up this offer.

Bill, I hope you are in a position to take up George's offer he is a great Bloke and it would be a good opportunity for you.

Regards to you both John
John Smith

Andy Coates

Hello folks,

there were a couple of ways to deal with what's coming, and rightly or wrongly I've decided to do it this way if only to stop the POST REPORTS and to save me answering them individually.

I have had two POST reports concerning George's comments. I have looked at both comments and I do not feel that either constitutes a breach of the user agreement in this instance.

Whilst I can see why his comments might be considered harsh, they do not contain abusive language or tone, and are actually just an opinion. An opinion perhaps worded poorly or a little too stridently, but an opinion nonetheless.

So as the thread stands at this time the issue is closed.

We're all supposed to be grown ups. If you don't care for an opinion expressed you can say so and ask for no further comments, or request me to remove the thread. If a request to desist is ignored then I will issue a warning to the appropriate poster. If they continue I will delete their account without notification or recourse.

Andy

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
Hello Bill, I hope you have not decided to leave the Forum I was looking to see if you had made any further comments on this thread and maybe taken George up on his offer. Regards John
John Smith

Andy Coates

I thought I try and do an honest and hopefully constructive critique of this bowl in an effort to redress some of the hurt the various misunderstandings have caused. But you may not appreciate it anyway...

Ok. First impressions?

I don't like it. The main reason I don't like it is the shape. It's a shape commonly produced by novices which I call "the dog bowl". The outer shape (IMHO) is one produced by the geometry of the tool rather than the maker's design.

The wall is probably an exact copy of the angle of the bevel under the flute of the tool. The reason the bowl ends up this shape is not by design but because upon taking the first shaping cuts the turner produces a shaving, and judging this to be a good thing allows the tool to continue to cut in the same direction. The result is a sheer-sided 45 degree(ish) bowl shape.

As turners we should be aiming to dictate our design on the wood, not allowing the tool to do the designing for us. So how do you put "intentional shape" into your work?

Imagine the same bowl blank mounted on your lathe. You've roughed it to a cylinder and are about to begin shaping it (I will assume you have either already cut the chuck holding or are happy to accommodate it later). Convention has it that you begin at the foot and turn towards the rim. The reasons for this are sound...cutting with the grain...cutting "downhill", but try from the rim towards the foot.

As the cut begins you are holding the bowl gouge close in to your body, supporting it at the toolrest with either an under or overhand grip, but your grip is light and the tool is form in to your side. The flute is at about the 1-2 o'clock position if the clock is in front of you. As the cut begins your job is to slowly swing your body to the right, feeding the tool through your fingers at an appropriate pace relative to the speed of the wood and size of the blank. In doing this you apply (gentle) pressure to the bevel which cause it to drive the cutting edge in the direction YOIU wish it to travel. Correctly done this will produce a variation on a "classic" bowl shape. Ive attached and example of the shape on an old bowl of my own. Ignore the after lathe work and concentrate on the shape.

So to the inside of the bowl...

steep sided and flat bottomed....another dog bowl shape.

The shape here can be the result of two things: a) see above - same applies and b) a wish to echo the outside for want of any other idea.

More often than not it's a result of option a. The problem then arises when the maker realises that the base of the blank is fast approaching and fears going through the bottom and so makes a 90 degree change in direction which produces a flat bottom and a sharp corner. Another result is often a heavy base as the change of direction was far too early anyway.

The remedy is to use the same principles as detailed for the outside of the bowl but where the tool position is appropriate for the interior of a typical bowl shape...

facing the bowl as if it's face is the clock the flute is at about 2. The tool is held against the body if possible, if the lathe bed won't allow then the tool handle is under the forearm and firmly supported on the rest. Assuming you have turned the outside as previously detailed your job is to copy the same shape on the inside. Let's assume a 6mm wall thickness at the rim. Follow the shape by slowly pulling your body backwards as you feed the tool through your fingers to give it the necessary depth. Repeat until the wall is 6mm all the way down and follows the shape of the outside. If your wall thickness is even you CANNOT go through the base. Another problem removed.

By choosing this simple shape you will remove the problem of the steep sides, the tool will cut cleaner leaving less torn grain, the shape will be more pleasing. Once you've mastered this you can then start to change the shape of subsequent bowls for something more adventurous with the knowledge acquired during the process.

If you still like the dog bowl shape and want to make another you'll at least be in a better position to make a cleaner-cut version.

Finish is your own preference but the rules of thumb are - good quality abrasive, start at an appropriate grit (if the tooling is poor then 80g) if better 120g Etc. Work though the grits to (we are encouraged) 400g (a utility bowl doesn't require such a fine finish IMHO). Abrade slowly without undue pressure applied. Keep the abrasive moving constantly to avoid marks. Only start the 2nd grit when ALL the tooling marks are removed. The following grits remove the abrasive marks of each subsequent grit. Seal as preferred and final finish of oil, wax Etc.

None of this is cast in stone but will help. 1 to 1 is the best way of learning. But in the absence of 1 to 1 you can use a good book, DVD, or YouTube (but knowing what's good on there is another problem). Ask for recommendations on here. Mark Sanger has some good vids on youtube, and I have some, and there are others.

I hope you don't feel offended by this. You can only get help with a constructive critique and I believe this is constructive.

thebowlerhattedturner

Andy, I think this is a fair and considered reply.
Bill it was probably me that took your £16 at Yandles. you must be fairly local to me so get in touch at:- swrep@awgb.co.uk and I am sure something can be worked out.
Best regards
John BHT

EnErY

I thought I try and do an honest and hopefully constructive critique of this bowl in an effort to redress some of the hurt the various misunderstandings have caused. But you may not appreciate it anyway...

Ok. First impressions?

I don't like it. The main reason I don't like it is the shape. It's a shape commonly produced by novices which I call "the dog bowl". The outer shape (IMHO) is one produced by the geometry of the tool rather than the maker's design.

The wall is probably an exact copy of the angle of the bevel under the flute of the tool. The reason the bowl ends up this shape is not by design but because upon taking the first shaping cuts the turner produces a shaving, and judging this to be a good thing allows the tool to continue to cut in the same direction. The result is a sheer-sided 45 degree(ish) bowl shape.

As turners we should be aiming to dictate our design on the wood, not allowing the tool to do the designing for us. So how do you put "intentional shape" into your work?

Imagine the same bowl blank mounted on your lathe. You've roughed it to a cylinder and are about to begin shaping it (I will assume you have either already cut the chuck holding or are happy to accommodate it later). Convention has it that you begin at the foot and turn towards the rim. The reasons for this are sound...cutting with the grain...cutting "downhill", but try from the rim towards the foot.

As the cut begins you are holding the bowl gouge close in to your body, supporting it at the toolrest with either an under or overhand grip, but your grip is light and the tool is form in to your side. The flute is at about the 1-2 o'clock position if the clock is in front of you. As the cut begins your job is to slowly swing your body to the right, feeding the tool through your fingers at an appropriate pace relative to the speed of the wood and size of the blank. In doing this you apply (gentle) pressure to the bevel which cause it to drive the cutting edge in the direction YOIU wish it to travel. Correctly done this will produce a variation on a "classic" bowl shape. Ive attached and example of the shape on an old bowl of my own. Ignore the after lathe work and concentrate on the shape.

So to the inside of the bowl...

steep sided and flat bottomed....another dog bowl shape.

The shape here can be the result of two things: a) see above - same applies and b) a wish to echo the outside for want of any other idea.

More often than not it's a result of option a. The problem then arises when the maker realises that the base of the blank is fast approaching and fears going through the bottom and so makes a 90 degree change in direction which produces a flat bottom and a sharp corner. Another result is often a heavy base as the change of direction was far too early anyway.

The remedy is to use the same principles as detailed for the outside of the bowl but where the tool position is appropriate for the interior of a typical bowl shape...

facing the bowl as if it's face is the clock the flute is at about 2. The tool is held against the body if possible, if the lathe bed won't allow then the tool handle is under the forearm and firmly supported on the rest. Assuming you have turned the outside as previously detailed your job is to copy the same shape on the inside. Let's assume a 6mm wall thickness at the rim. Follow the shape by slowly pulling your body backwards as you feed the tool through your fingers to give it the necessary depth. Repeat until the wall is 6mm all the way down and follows the shape of the outside. If your wall thickness is even you CANNOT go through the base. Another problem removed.

By choosing this simple shape you will remove the problem of the steep sides, the tool will cut cleaner leaving less torn grain, the shape will be more pleasing. Once you've mastered this you can then start to change the shape of subsequent bowls for something more adventurous with the knowledge acquired during the process.

If you still like the dog bowl shape and want to make another you'll at least be in a better position to make a cleaner-cut version.

Finish is your own preference but the rules of thumb are - good quality abrasive, start at an appropriate grit (if the tooling is poor then 80g) if better 120g Etc. Work though the grits to (we are encouraged) 400g (a utility bowl doesn't require such a fine finish IMHO). Abrade slowly without undue pressure applied. Keep the abrasive moving constantly to avoid marks. Only start the 2nd grit when ALL the tooling marks are removed. The following grits remove the abrasive marks of each subsequent grit. Seal as preferred and final finish of oil, wax Etc.

None of this is cast in stone but will help. 1 to 1 is the best way of learning. But in the absence of 1 to 1 you can use a good book, DVD, or YouTube (but knowing what's good on there is another problem). Ask for recommendations on here. Mark Sanger has some good vids on youtube, and I have some, and there are others.

I hope you don't feel offended by this. You can only get help with a constructive critique and I believe this is constructive.
Thank You Andy This is The Sort Of critic I was looking for it Is both helpful informative and not scathing  this is the sort of ideal information im looking for not to be given a hauling over the coals for selling the item
Kind regards
Bill

Andy Coates

Good. Glad that's what you wanted..

Now if we can make that the last time we mention the other thing we can all get along better and people can stop sending me post reports and taking up time I can not afford to waste.

safe turning

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire

Very valid point made early on about the bevel angle grind and cutting edge, which are all important, but to the beginner just as much a mystery as turning itself.

One thing I may just question is the Lathe speed ... just how fast are you turning, to slow and if the cut is heavy you'll get more tear out from a forced cut and this can be compounded by more cuts as the tool will bounce across the surface, it's to restart with a sharp tool and fine cuts to cut away the damage.

Just wondering.

Cheers  David
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

arcos

David a question re lathe seed....

Obviously within comfort and safety zones....

Is it better to have as high a speed as possible when encountering tear out to try and reduce this?

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire

Is it better to have as high a speed as possible when encountering tear out to try and reduce this?

Safe speed is always a question, in order to explan the best and too all that it involves, I'll use these guideline from Craft Supplies: http://blog.woodturnerscatalog.com/2012/08/safe-wood-lathe-speeds/ ..  credit to Craft Supplies USA.

My question on speed was more as a consideration to help understand if it related to Bill's problem of tear out, we need as many factors as possible to decide as to what could be the cause etc.

Cheers  David
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline Mark Hancock

• bronze
    • Mark Hancock

Safe speed is always a question, in order to explan the best and too all that it involves, I'll use these guideline from Craft Supplies: http://blog.woodturnerscatalog.com/2012/08/safe-wood-lathe-speeds/ ..  credit to Craft Supplies USA.

My question on speed was more as a consideration to help understand if it related to Bill's problem of tear out, we need as many factors as possible to decide as to what could be the cause etc.

Cheers  David

Please please be careful of using a formula as shown in the link or a table as often appears in books. There are so many factors involved in setting an appropriate speed that formulae and tables don't take any account of. IMHO they should not be replied upon.

Mark

Nick Arnull

When teaching I do not like to quote lathe speeds as the most important  point it is to be both comfortable and safe,
If you are encountering tear out on end grain there is generally two reasons a blunt tool or poor tool presentation,I will add a caveat many folks turn at to higher speed and generally a slower speed will produce better results hoever it does require good tool control.
I might also suggest you apply a coat of wax before taking a final cut with a freshly sharpened tool.
I agree with Mark Hancock regarding the use of speed tables as there are far to many variables.
Nick Arnull.