Author Topic: Chance in a million  (Read 4275 times)

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
Chance in a million
« on: April 13, 2013, 09:08:14 PM »
Purely by chance, I e-mailed somebody selling a few turning tools that I was interested in, and she happened to mention that she wanted someone to buy the contents of her late brother's workshop. To cut a long story short, I met her today at the workshop and this is what I came away with.....

In this picture, there are mainly burrs. For example, 3 pieces of myrtle, each 8x8x3, 8 pieces of thuya, 4 of them 6x6x2 and 4 of them 5x5x2, 2 pieces of jarrah, each 5x5x3 and a superb piece of finely burred elm, 11inch diameter x 2" thick, the entire piece is covered with fine, pippy little knots.

In the next picture, there's mostly spindles, but it includes gems like a couple of pieces of 2x2 pink ivory, each 12" long and a chunk of cocobolo, 3x3 and 12" long....to say nothing of 18" lengths of olive ash, lengths of ebony and macasar rosewood

...this lot has some real chunky olive ash, in 3" thick square, 10"x10", as well as two pieces of elm, the same size (and one of them has a burr along one edge

and the final load of timber, is still in my trailer because I just don't know where to keep it. It's lengths up to 4ft, of boxwood, yew, apple and cherry...

as well as this, there was a Tyme Avon lathe, a few expanding collet chucks, four turning tools (including a 1.5" x 0.5" scraper), a box full of finishes, a box of tiles and mechanisms, a box full of magazines and clock plans.....and sacks of firewood.

Where the heck am I going to start?
« Last Edit: April 13, 2013, 09:16:45 PM by gwyntog »
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline malcy

• gold
Re: Chance in a million
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2013, 09:26:04 PM »
Lucky boy. That looks like a good load and I hope it was a good bargain too. Malcolm.

thebowlerhattedturner

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2013, 09:31:23 PM »
How lucky can one person be? Well done. Put up some shelves and store it on edge so that you have easy access to it all.Start turning.
Regards
John BHT

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2013, 09:37:14 PM »
Hi Malcy....the whole lot, including the lathe and chucks, was £310! Interestingly, Workshop Heaven is selling lumps of Jarrah burr, 4x2x1 for about £2 per cubic inch. The two pieces included with this lot total 150cubic inches....so that's £300 for two lumps of wood.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2013, 09:50:04 PM by gwyntog »

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2013, 10:20:30 PM »
By the time you work through that lot, you'll be an expert!
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Doug Barratt

• bronze
  • Living the dream
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2013, 10:27:16 PM »
Excellent haul, who`s a lucky fella  ;)

Cheers.

Doug.

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2013, 10:29:31 PM »
Hi dr4ag0nfly...but there's a 'but'.....but I'm almost afraid to start work on some of the stuff, especially the burrs, until I am a bit more highly skilled than I am at present. I understand that there's some valuable stuff in there....it would be such a shame to just practice on it. after all, where could I get another 11" disc of 2" pippy elm burr if I stuff this one up?
Les

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2013, 10:43:35 PM »
Les,

I have been turning for a few years now. To start with I bought precut 'turning blanks', rounds or squares, they are expensive, so along with branchwood, I kind of taught myself spindle turning (I did spend a week with Reg Sherwin though), so my toolwork became very good.

But I can't say I learnt to turn until, like you, I bought 14 cubic feet of wood for £200, and suddenly I could throw it on the lathe and not care if I stuffed something up. Now I could 'play', develop forms and shapes/curves just for fun.

Certainly put some of the special stuff to one side, but the rest, it's wood, it grows on tree's, it cost you pennies, go play, go learn, go develop and enjoy it. You'll be a better turner in the end for doing so.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

thebowlerhattedturner

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2013, 09:24:00 AM »
Les, although I agree with Bryan to a certain extent this wood is a valuable commodity even though it grows on trees. I would separate out some of the dark wood like Ebony and African Blackwood and put them to one side to use as finials or stems. get hold of a copy of Bob Chapman's book 50 turned boxes(I think)as there are some good projects in there with excellent drawings and these will help you to utilise some of the 2" square material to it's best. The table legs could be Brazilian Mahogany, hold onto that incase you are asked to do antique repairs.(you can't buy it now)Put the best burrs to one side and practice on the not so good ones. Save the corners from the larger blanks and turn light pulls from them.
 Most of all do not be afraid to turn them as you have the skill needed but please don't waste them.
regards
John BHT
Using the modify button(thanks Andy) the book is Turned Boxes 50 designs by Chris Stott.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2013, 11:55:41 AM by thebowlerhattedturner »

woody

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2013, 12:22:01 PM »
If you want to learn how to turn hard wood you have to turn it if you want to learn how to turn exotic hard wood the same applies you could turn for years and still come across a new wood or even a type of wood you have turned for years that behaves in a totally different manner to anything you have ever turned have a go you may surprise yourself good luck and happy turning