Author Topic: Then it Stopped  (Read 14555 times)

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
Then it Stopped
« on: April 09, 2013, 11:28:14 PM »

All was going well, had cut out the blanks, now for rounding, just into the 3rd and the blade took to stop .. back out a bit away we'd go .. then the same .. the belts not at it's best, but is doing it's job .. that it stops not to go again ... just a buzz when restarting ..  re-check everything till had a look at the motor .. Ah .. see pic's..

Elektra Beckum BAS 315/4 GWN 55 .. Instructions as helpful as chocolate fire guard .. overload relay or no voltage release in wiring diagram .. will it be contact Metabo.

Cheers   David
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
Re: Then it Stopped
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2013, 06:39:02 AM »
Long time since I've seen a capacitor do that.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Doug Barratt

• bronze
  • Living the dream
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2013, 06:58:46 AM »
"If you put the details of the capacitor into an e-bay search you will find them starting from pence."

That was a recommendation given to me a couple of years ago as I had 2 capacitors to change. I was amazed how cheap they were compared to the branded replacement.

Cheers.

Doug.

Andy Coates

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2013, 08:25:30 AM »
It's awful when that happens, especially when you need the bandsaw for your living and it holds you up. Doug's advice is spot on.

On the up side...the texture on the extruded gunk would make an interesting texture for a vessel!

Good luck getting it fixed.

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2013, 09:38:02 AM »

Cheers on the advice, from the picture alone, the crack in the container and contents melt over it, may not be able to get details .. see if it will clean off... may not be a quick  fixs.

David

Richard Stapley

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2013, 10:29:42 AM »
David the Capacitor Rating is given on the Motor Plate if I read this correctly it will be rated at 15mf @ 450V.

I go to my local Motor Rewind Company and always take the Old Capacitor plus the Motor details and have always ended up with the correct replacement at a very reasonable price.

Richard

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2013, 11:49:18 AM »

Hi Richard,

Should I find a company local that was my thoughts, I note as you've pointed out 450v .. my understanding has been this to be a single phase saw, I bought it as such .. a look undered the cover will confirm delta or star connections .. it's lasted since 1999 on single phase as it has no converter ..

The plot thickens .. 

Cheers   David

Richard Stapley

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2013, 12:26:40 PM »
David the 450V is the maximum it can be used to, as Capacitors of this type are for Single Phase I would not get to concerned about this as the Motor plate confirms the Voltage.

Richard

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2013, 01:38:01 PM »

Thanks on that, Richard, will start investigating, not the best thing when a manufacture has been taken over if it goes that way.

David

Offline julcle

• platinum
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2013, 05:20:36 PM »
Hi David  --  Picture 2 shows that it's 16uF @ 450v you should be able to get one of these off the shelf from a washing machine repair shop. Try to match up the connectors if you can otherwise you will be getting the soldering iron out and putting the old tails onto the new capacitor. This happened to me just before christmas on my Tormek, still for me the machine is 15 odd years old so not a big concern. Best of luck with the repair and as always if you're not sure about electricity leave it to someone that is.
Crowvalley Woodturners
Julian

thebowlerhattedturner

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2013, 07:51:42 PM »
This happened to my bandsaw a while back, Axminster supplied me with a new capacitor but it was a 15 instead of a 16. Apparently they are not that accurate so a point either way does not seem to matter.
regards
John BHT

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2013, 08:53:35 PM »
This happened to my bandsaw a while back, Axminster supplied me with a new capacitor but it was a 15 instead of a 16. Apparently they are not that accurate so a point either way does not seem to matter.

All electronic components are built to a tolerance of ± something. Resistors have a colour band on them to identify just that. It's not unusual for capacitors to be -50% to +90 of their quoted figure.

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2013, 12:42:40 AM »
Hi David  --  Picture 2 shows that it's 16uF @ 450v you should be able to get one of these off the shelf from a washing machine repair shop. Try to match up the connectors if you can otherwise you will be getting the soldering iron out and putting the old tails onto the new capacitor. This happened to me just before christmas on my Tormek, still for me the machine is 15 odd years old so not a big concern. Best of luck with the repair and as always if you're not sure about electricity leave it to someone that is.

Cheers for that, there is or was a shop in town, will check as to what they can offer or piont me in the right direction .. Had the lid off and a look at the cable block, the wires went out of sight under the wires from the motor, but looked as if the block could be released to find just where they went, was hoping to have got it off for a pattern, but it is 16uF.

David

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2013, 07:01:14 AM »
David,

both the capacitor and the motor rating plate quote 16μF so I think we can assume that is the correct value.

But if you want to be sure cut through the flying lead and unbolt the Capacitor body to take with you.

Offline Derwent Woodturning club

• bronze
    • Derwent Woodturning Club
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2013, 12:31:06 PM »
Hi David,
Might be worth trying Maplins at the Orbit centre in Cannock. http://www.maplin.co.uk/motor-run-capacitors-440v-30309
This isn't the cheapest but I believe is local to you.
Regards,
Derwent Woodturning Club