Author Topic: You won't believe this!  (Read 3039 times)

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
You won't believe this!
« on: April 08, 2013, 08:06:23 PM »
I've just spotted something on ebay that looks exceptionally dangerous. It's a gadget to to turn an upright drill-press into a spindle lathe. It has to be seen to be believed. If the gouge digs in, I dread to think where it's going to fly to!
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TURN-YOUR-DRILL-PRESS-INTO-A-VERTICAL-WOOD-LATHE-ATTACHMENT-TOOL-FOR-WOODWORKING-/290661079104?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43acc01840
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
Re: You won't believe this!
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2013, 08:47:51 PM »
I have seen this idea before somewhere, maybe an old woodwork mag from years gone-bye.

I don't like it on several grounds;

The tool-rest is poorly supported, anywhere near the upper end with a dig in and it'll bend. Then heaven help you!

I'm not sure you could 'swing' the tool sufficiently in the 3 dimensions we need to to achieve some of the cuts we make.

A Lathe motor is designed to run constantly, a drill motor is designed to run for short periods, It'll burn out very fast (Electric hand drill motors have a life of around 100 hours usage).
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2013, 09:11:24 PM »
...did you read the bit where it said that the toolrest is 12" long, but by reversing the wood in the chuck you can turn a 24" long spindle.....it'd be funny if not for the fact that it's lethal!
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

thebowlerhattedturner

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2013, 09:54:59 PM »
As the health and safety representative of the AWGB I cannot recommend the purchase of this device.(due to the fact that it may be detrimental to your health and well being)
Regards
John
BHT

Offline Derwent Woodturning club

• bronze
    • Derwent Woodturning Club
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2013, 01:04:45 PM »
Another example of what you see on the 'net is not always a good idea. And, unfortunately, there is no easy way of informing people of the dangers of this contraption.

I will be doing an article in our next newsletter bringing this to our member's attention. Maybe other editors could do likewise.

I am now thinking of creating a website called "What NOT to do in your workshop". I am sure there are many other examples of this sort of thing.
Regards,
Derwent Woodturning Club

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2013, 05:11:28 PM »

And it said 28 sold ...   :o ...  Guy should be removed .. out of safety reasons ..

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''