Author Topic: Selling a Crack  (Read 14136 times)

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
Re: Selling a Crack
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2013, 07:46:36 PM »
Haggy,

Glad my quick explanation helped, though you might follow the link to discover ways to reduce the image size.

I like the look of the silica inset, and can see why you like it. Is it always that colour or does it come in or can you tint it other colours?

As far as using epoxy goes, start a thread asking for advise, we have a few turners who do very well with the stuff. You never know, you might offer up some ideas they can use as well.

As to what type of plastic I've acquired, nope no idea. As a guess I'd say it was a thermoplastic like the stuff normally used in injection moulding machines.

And as for showing your pupils anything from the site, the AWGB exists to promote Woodturning, one of the committee will give you 'Chapter & Verse' but not only would there not be a problem, but I'l warrant that the nearest club would assist you, if you asked.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2013, 07:49:38 PM by dr4g0nfly »
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Haggy

• bronze
  • "You can keep your ashes in that " Wife
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2013, 09:13:56 PM »
dr4gonfly

Thank you for helping me get started as well as the sound advice.  I never thought of starting a 'thread'.  I will do that tomorrow before school starts and work takes over.  It could really help.
It was a relief to see my image appear - I will reduce the image size next time.  I was amazed at how you could zoom in -there is no hiding place for blemishes!
I have got about six different colours of mica,  I chose copper to match  the pen fittings, but could have used any colour.
Great for you to be so positive with the kids, some of them are so naturally talented, it takes me by surprise.
   this is the longest I've been on my computer and my wife getting suspicious!
           Haggy

Paul Disdle

« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2013, 09:58:01 PM »

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2013, 10:23:27 PM »
I never thought of starting a 'thread'.  I will do that tomorrow before school starts and work takes over.  It could really help.

Tomorrow is Sunday - to us - where are you?

As for the Good Lady, get her to look with you, especially the gallery, she'll soon start with the 'I like that - could you make me one?'

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2013, 10:24:28 PM »

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2013, 12:29:27 PM »
A couple of close ups of the granular pellets in a (almost) finished piece -  It needs a good buffing now.
granular

Offline Haggy

• bronze
  • "You can keep your ashes in that " Wife
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2013, 02:02:38 PM »
That looks good-the plastic appears to stand out from the surface, but that would be impossible.
Did you hand carve along the grain?  This will give my students something to ponder on.
One final question, what is SWMBO?  I'm no good with acronyms-family related?
      Regards
          Haggy

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2013, 02:12:15 PM »
SWMBO = She Who Must Be Obeyed

I have found when using inlays of different materials or woods that the different densities can result in one standing proud of the other when sanding. I would imagine that the mica inlay would be harder so it could be proud of the surrounding wood?

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2013, 06:11:51 PM »
I don't think you can say it stands proud but you can feel a difference when you run your fingers over it. But wood being wood, if it moves even the slightest bit with humidity change I'm sure it will become more noticeable.

I actually posted the close-ups so the grain effect could be seen, it does not turn into a homogenized mass/mess.

Offline hughie

• gold
  • The Wooden Potter
    • http://www.facebook.com/TheWoodenPotter
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2013, 12:06:50 AM »
DF it looks fine. I often have cracks some get filled some are left. I guess it depends on the piece and the effect thats required. A lot of the Aussie hardwoods will develop hairline cracks which will fill successfully with CA and do not change the overall look and feel of the piece

Like you I have my coffee grinds which are most suitable for  the kind of Burrs  I get. I also have a range of powdered metals ie Brass, Bronze, Copper and Aluminum. I havent use powdered metal much of late. I find a fair bit of care is required to keep the lines and consistency of fill accurate otherwise it looks very chunky.

thebowlerhattedturner

« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2013, 09:01:18 PM »
Bryan,
        I don't know how I missed these pictures or I would have commented on them sooner :-[
What a lovely finish you have got there,no bleeding or staining,I like it.
regards
John BHT

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2013, 10:37:18 PM »
John.
Thank you but can I ask what you mean by no bleeding or staining.  I can't work out the context of the coment.

Thanks in advance.

thebowlerhattedturner

« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2013, 11:30:06 PM »
Hi Bryan,
           what I mean is the resin has not stained or bled into the surrounding timber,the join of the 2 materials is sharp ,clear and crisp.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2013, 09:03:26 AM »
John,

something I'd never though about as it's the first time I've ever done something like this inset material.

But thanks for the heads-up, I'll know to watch out for the possibility of it happening in the future.