Author Topic: Dura-Grit  (Read 4449 times)

Offline Eric Harvey

• platinum
  • Craters project no.1
Dura-Grit
« on: March 14, 2013, 09:34:02 PM »
I just bought some Dura-Grit burrs,32mm 60grit mushroom carver,32mm 120grit disc cutter,120 grit barrel sander/cutter,80 grit barrel sander/cutter and 80grit 3mm point burr,also a1mm Proxon solid carbide mill/drill burr/cutter,all the these were used at 35.000 rpm on an ongoing woodturning project i have on the go.I used the mushroom carver and 80 grit barrel to thin down the main areas to be pierced,with rapid results and after a go over with the barrel after initial carving with the mushroom a pretty smooth surface was achieved,which I then went over with the 120 grit barrel for even better results,the 1mm carbide burr was then tried,found that I had to keep a tight grip on this one or it went where it wanted to instead where I wanted it to,as the turning was down to roughly 2mm I went over to the 80 grit 3mm point,which is very controllable,initial piecing had a bit of scorching,but once tho hole was opened up a bit and the wide part of the burr was used no more burning unless I took very hard cuts.Overall I`m quite pleased with my new purchases,especially as there will be no more exploding barrel sanding sleaves,regards,

Eric.
welcome to my woodturning world

thebowlerhattedturner

Re: Dura-Grit
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2013, 09:30:04 AM »
Thanks for that Eric,
              looking forward to seeing the results of your labour.
regards
John BHT

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2013, 01:22:35 PM »

Thank you Eric for taking the time to write up how well you've found that these work, it's nice to hear first hand, than to read a report which maybe only be a short term test and trial that may not result in the need of a finished piece.

Look forward to the piece once finished.

David

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline Eric Harvey

• platinum
  • Craters project no.1
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2013, 09:19:05 PM »
I just shared my thoughts on them in case anyone is thinking of buying any of these as its good to know how things work when your thinking of buying new bits and bobs,other peoples thoughts on these would be good to hear to,regards,

Eric.

Offline Eric Harvey

• platinum
  • Craters project no.1
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2013, 09:22:31 PM »
just an update,the 120 grit barrel sander/carver blocks up unless used very gently and has to be kept moving across the surface being ground/sanded,and has to be cleaned alot,the 80 grit fares allot better,only had to clean it once so far,thee 80 grit point is very good for piercing and deburring,oh I`ve turned the speed down from 35.000 to 20.000,which makes things a bit more controlable,especialy with the 1mm and 2mm Proxon mill/dril carbide cutters,not so many swearword moments with them now haha,regards,

Eric.

PS will take some pics of work in progress tommorrow  so the results can be seen.