Author Topic: Basic cuts with a Bowl Gouge  (Read 7925 times)

arcos

Basic cuts with a Bowl Gouge
« on: March 09, 2013, 12:39:55 PM »
Having had some practice with my first proper bowl gouge this week and finding that the cut is very different to my cheap spindle gouge I looked for a simple video to show the basic use of a bowl gouge.

This is, for most of you, pretty basic but I found that it was very useful in use and control of the bowl gouge.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onTcR3fZTa8

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
Re: Basic cuts with a Bowl Gouge
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2013, 08:44:01 PM »

Hi Acros, that is, all be it is short an informative video and by Tobias Kaye you can't go far wrong in my view with what he has said and shown.

He has gone into detail of the gouge, but I notice it has a standard grind, not the swept back wings, but it is noticeable he has ground the heel from the back edge of the bevel, but maintained an equal bevel behind the cutting edge, this makes for a small bevel contact and aids turning the inside of the bowl around the corner and cross the bottom of deeper bowl where wall or rim contact would block the cut an lose control of the cut with a standard long bevel.

I trust I'm clear as can be with my comment.

Cheers    David

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline Doug Barratt

• bronze
  • Living the dream
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2013, 10:51:50 PM »
Thanks for posting that up it really was a blast from the past seeing Tobias Kaye.

I can`t remember the last time I saw anything about him but I`m guessing it must be getting on for 20 years since I last read an article by him.

Cheers.

Doug.

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2013, 11:06:22 PM »

Looking at his website: http://www.tobias-kaye.co.uk/default.asp ..  He's still very active, I can't recall as to when, but someone will, when he was last at Yandles.

On that note: Yandle our very own Andy will be there.

Cheers  David

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2013, 07:36:56 AM »
Tobias has been to Yandles in the last couple of years, I stood and watched him but cannot remember exactly which show it was. I do remember he was selling his video's there.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Doug Barratt

• bronze
  • Living the dream
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2013, 09:16:19 AM »

On that note: Yandle our very own Andy will be there.

Yes I noticed that, must be a 500 mile round trip for the old boy........................his Citroen I was referring to

Might have to fire up the jalopy & venture south for the show myself, that is if the snow has cleared up here by then  :-\

Cheers.

Doug.

Offline julcle

• platinum
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2013, 05:09:53 PM »
I shall be there on the Friday !
Crowvalley Woodturners
Julian

arcos

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2013, 09:21:45 AM »

Hi Acros, that is, all be it is short an informative video and by Tobias Kaye you can't go far wrong in my view with what he has said and shown.

He has gone into detail of the gouge, but I notice it has a standard grind, not the swept back wings, but it is noticeable he has ground the heel from the back edge of the bevel, but maintained an equal bevel behind the cutting edge, this makes for a small bevel contact and aids turning the inside of the bowl around the corner and cross the bottom of deeper bowl where wall or rim contact would block the cut an lose control of the cut with a standard long bevel.

I trust I'm clear as can be with my comment.

Cheers    David

Hi David

The main reason for watching this and then posting is that the new gouges are standard grind and there seems to be very few videos showing this as most have non standard grinds.

To be honest I am a little at a loss with grinds, swept back wings etc etc etc and, right now, would prefer to avoid the confusion!

I am sure that I will look at the various options one day!  ;)

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2013, 08:35:06 PM »

Hi Arcos, 

Yep, this video is ideal as you've said for the basic cuts with a standard grind or pre-set manufacture grind and these can vary from maker to maker, all can say their bevel angle is best for some reason ..  etc, you could fill a box twice with the number of tools it's said you'll need, in time you may find the need to alter the bevel to what suits you best, as well you will need a seperate swept back/fingernail ground gouge, you can't re-grind one tool each time you need the other and then the flute maybe wrong for that grind, as for what the swept back wing is like, check back to the video Pete posted on your Olive M/P that is the type of grind that is used there and that we have mentioned.

Continue as you are, you're doing just fine, you're making shavings and some nice pieces as well, given you're out there on you're own, so keep asking.

Cheers  David

arcos

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2013, 11:50:35 AM »

Hi Arcos, 

Yep, this video is ideal as you've said for the basic cuts with a standard grind or pre-set manufacture grind and these can vary from maker to maker, all can say their bevel angle is best for some reason ..  etc, you could fill a box twice with the number of tools it's said you'll need, in time you may find the need to alter the bevel to what suits you best, as well you will need a seperate swept back/fingernail ground gouge, you can't re-grind one tool each time you need the other and then the flute maybe wrong for that grind, as for what the swept back wing is like, check back to the video Pete posted on your Olive M/P that is the type of grind that is used there and that we have mentioned.

Continue as you are, you're doing just fine, you're making shavings and some nice pieces as well, given you're out there on you're own, so keep asking.

Cheers  David

Thanks for the words of encouragement David!

The swept back/fingernail grind is something that interests me as I feel that this may be an 'easier'/'more useful' grind for what I am doing. However, I feel that it's a great learning curve to understand how a 'standard' grind works! I like the way it cuts actually but also see some limitations where a fingernail grind will get me out of 'trouble'.

Making more shavings than items at the moment with small pieces of scrap to try and understand the bowl gouges and loving every minute of it!

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2013, 01:57:31 PM »

No one ran before they could walk, every turner over time had standard gouges and these could vary around the world too, each could alter the grind to suit and still do, it's only in this age that someone could put forward and have manufactured what has become the swept back/fingernail or irish grind and display the advantages.

Keep practising as you are and when time comes only then invest in a swept back and start the pracise again ...  very best of fun.

David