Author Topic: Chisel Set...  (Read 9826 times)

arcos

Chisel Set...
« on: March 02, 2013, 12:30:40 PM »
I have FINALLY found a supplier here in Portugal who can, hopefully, enable me to get my hands on some desperately needed gouges/scrapers.

The set I have been offered is as photo.

Would this be a worthwhile set to buy? They, to me, seem to fit my requirements!

Just waiting on a price now but I did see a similar set on ebay for about £150... Is that about right?

woody

Re: Chisel Set...
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2013, 01:23:16 PM »
I used the self same chisels every day for about 20 years and they still had loads of life left in them when I had to give up turning not sure about the price though as I haven't purchased any tools for years

arcos

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2013, 01:53:26 PM »
Thanks Woody!

That seems to be a decent recommendation and they will likely out live me!  ;D

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2013, 06:19:54 PM »
Arcos,

I have these two bowl gouges among the others in my workshop. One of the first things I did was to sweep the wings back in a Celtic or Ellsworth grind - Don't.  They have a 'deep flute' not 'superflute' - with long wings the shavings jam up in the flute but with short wings they work just fine.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline malcy

• gold
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2013, 08:48:33 PM »
I have a few of these tools too. I've had them for 20 years or so and still going strong. Get them if the price is right for you. Malcolm.

Offline Woodcrafts

• bronze
  • Passing on skills to the next generation
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2013, 10:36:16 AM »
I have FINALLY found a supplier here in Portugal who can, hopefully, enable me to get my hands on some desperately needed gouges/scrapers.

The set I have been offered is as photo.

Would this be a worthwhile set to buy? They, to me, seem to fit my requirements!

Just waiting on a price now but I did see a similar set on ebay for about £150... Is that about right?
Hi Arcos,
I think the price you have found on ebay is far too expensive if it's the same set as in the picutre. The tools are from Record Power but having looked at their website, it doesn't look like Record do that particular set any more. Having said that I thought you might look at their current offerings. http://www.recordpower.co.uk/category/turning-tool-sets
Obviously you have the additional cost of getting them to Portugal, but I thought you should be aware of the price for a brand new set. Ebay can be a good source of tools and equipment but, unfortunately some sellers take advantage of a lot of people who think ebay must be cheap. Not true!
One suggestion is NOT to buy 'sets' of tools, as most people find they aren't exactly what they need. Instead decide on individual tools and order them as you need them, or make up your own 'set'. For example, the set in the photo only has two bowl gouges but three scrapers. I find one scraper will cope with most of my scraping but I have several bowl gouges, different sizes and different grinds.
Hope that helps,
Regards,
Paul Bellamy - Woodcrafts

arcos

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2013, 08:51:59 AM »
Woodcrafts... Yes, I can see that buying individually often makes more sense in the long run.

I now have a price for this set at 50 Euros! That seems to be a far more realistic price than the £150 on ebay!!!!! I have to agree that ebay is NOT cheap and often MORE than you would pay with a retailer!

As my ONLY gouge (spindle) is now nearing the end of its life, when I get this new set arrive I will take a snap of the poor gouge that has had a hard life lately!

Hope that the set will arrive Wednesday!

I CANT WAIT!

Dave Wilcox

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2013, 10:13:36 AM »
Hi Arcos
Why don't you email Ashley Iles and see what they will charge you for the postage. Explain your situation and location, they have always been obliging. Buy just the metal and make your own handles to keep the postage down a bit.
http://www.ashleyiles.co.uk/contact_ashley_iles.html

arcos

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2013, 12:17:51 PM »
Well, chisels arrived this morning...

Free delivery by courier!!!

Just tried them out...

Think I will need to learn how to turn wood from scratch  :-[

Offline Martin Lawrence

• Global Moderator
  • gold
  • Kidderminster Worcestershire
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2013, 02:25:22 PM »
Dont forget thoswe ghouges will need to be ground to shape before use

Good luck
Martin Lawrence

arcos

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2013, 04:42:29 PM »
Dont forget thoswe ghouges will need to be ground to shape before use

Good luck

??? ???

ru55ell1

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2013, 10:30:01 AM »
Dont forget, as quoted by lots of "Proffesional" turners, sharpen the tool before taking the last cut.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2013, 07:28:02 PM »

Just tried them out...

Well sir, you've had them for 6 days now, any comments or questions on their use?

arcos

« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2013, 09:33:49 AM »

Just tried them out...

Well sir, you've had them for 6 days now, any comments or questions on their use?

Hmmm, I think that it is very difficult for me to give a judgement on what are, afterall, my first 'proper' chisels!

What I can say is that they are VERY different to the cheap Chinese set that I inherited with the lathe.

Heavy, long, 'awkward' spring to mind when compared to the original set!

Learning to use a deep fluted normal grind bowl gouge after a 'tinny' short spindle gouge has taken a little bit of getting used to and still not anywhere near proficient but it is coming!

Any catches on small small practice pieces have a very different result to the original chisels!!

HOWEVER....

The bowl gouges re very well made and incredibly sturdy! They have a lovely 'feel' in the hand and are quite easy to move/manipulate. I turned a number of mixed pieces before having to take them to the grinder  :-[ Grinding freehand was a daunting thought but with a careful 'dry run' I managed to reasonably successfully grind a nice edge and maintain the bevel.

The 3 round scrapers are fantastic and incredibly strong. The one thing I have noticed is that I will attempt to grind a longer cutting edge on one of the scrapers (I'm sure there is a name for that grind?), likely the middle sized one, so that I can 'draw' the scraper straighter (I know what I mean but don't know what you guys would call it sorry).

With two guys herre telling me that they had the exact same set for 20 years without problem would sugest that they are pretty good and likely outlive me!

I like them a lot and like the fact that they are going to open up a whole new world to me!

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2013, 07:45:13 PM »
The 3 round scrapers are fantastic and incredibly strong. The one thing I have noticed is that I will attempt to grind a longer cutting edge on one of the scrapers (I'm sure there is a name for that grind?), likely the middle sized one, so that I can 'draw' the scraper straighter (I know what I mean but don't know what you guys would call it sorry).

We'd normally refer to it as a French Curve Scraper where the curve varies along it's length or more boringly a Round Side Cutting Scraper where the edges are parallel.