Author Topic: Turning a lidded box...  (Read 3504 times)

arcos

Turning a lidded box...
« on: March 01, 2013, 04:39:34 PM »
I was searching for a video for turning a lidded box and found this...

http://vimeo.com/34010326

I must admit it did take me a little while to work out what was going on but I got there in the end!

Finishing the bottom of the box was also nice to see!

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
Re: Turning a lidded box...
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2013, 07:21:54 PM »

Arcos,  That's a nice video and like you've commented, if you're seeing a box made for the first time, it takes a little to work out.

One word of caution as he fitted the square into the chuck, he extended the jaw carriers out of the body, this can displace a carrier/jaw, as they extend at different lengths on the scroll plate or break the scroll plate thread if out to far or at the limit it's of travel.

You can just as easily turn down that first stage between centers and size the tenions to fit your chuck jaws, then continue from there.

Cheers     David

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2013, 10:28:48 PM »
I just viewed this for the first time...what struck me was the amount of smoke coming off the wood when he was using the narrow parting tool. At 2mins 18 secs we see him carefully touch up the edge of the parting tool, then he gets it so hot that smoke belches out of the cut.....can this be wise? Surely this practice could alter the temper of the steel!
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

thebowlerhattedturner

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2013, 08:54:57 AM »
Like I have said before, do not place too much credence on what you see on the internet.
Regards
John BHT