Author Topic: 2 STAGE BOWL  (Read 3570 times)

DAVE BADKIN

2 STAGE BOWL
« on: March 22, 2011, 03:41:06 PM »
HI Chaps, just a little something i enjoyed turning for my wife Louise to decorate with Pyrography. I have no idea of what timber I turned it from other than it is native British. It stands 9cm tall and 22cm across, all comments welcomed.

Andy Coates

Re: 2 STAGE BOWL
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2011, 04:26:58 PM »
It looks like it could be sycamore...or even willow...but I'd plump for sycamore

I take it this was turned in one piece?

I think it works despite the centre bowl stem being a little odd in shape...but I realise this must have been difficult to turn in a tight space

The pyrography works well, and really makes a good contrast. It a shame the depth of burn isn't the same on the inner bowl as it is on the outer, but I would guess that was due to it being difficult to get in there with the burner.

But overall I think it works. It would make a good nibbles bowl for nuts and crisps!

Offline Martin Lawrence

• Global Moderator
  • gold
  • Kidderminster Worcestershire
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2011, 05:58:12 PM »
Hi Dave & Louise

I agree with Andy re the inner stem also it would have been nice if both bowl were the same shape. Re the pyrography Lousi you have done a real god job on the large bowl well defined area's and like Andy says the small bowl needed to match the depth of burning. Another tip to achieve a professional finish is clean up the burn marks on the top of the bowl rim so the dont ride over the top, or stop short of the rim leaving and edging as you have done between the pyrographed sections. It is a real art and the more you practice the easier it will be. I have been told that Isopropyl ( Rubbing ) Alcohol will wash away the faint brown edge to a pyrography line, the 90% stuff. Chemists sell 70% so dont bother and they are expensive, on Ebay youcan get 90% botles and quite cheap, as I say I have only been told not tested the theory.

Hope this is of some constructive help.

Cheers Martin.
Martin Lawrence

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2011, 07:16:23 PM »
Hello Dave,I like your double Bowl Your Wife must have a lot of patience doing the pyrography.I also would guess it is Sycamore.Regards John
John Smith

DAVE BADKIN

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2011, 07:26:13 PM »
You are right Andy it was from willow now you say it I remember getting the timber, and yes it is turned from one piece no joins. Louise said how hard it was to get in to do the inner bowl and she was afraid she would catch the inner of the lower bowl if she persisted in trying to get the same amount of burn as the outer. Good point about the rim Martin and thanks for the tip.

thebowlerhattedturner

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2011, 10:30:36 PM »
Hi Dave,
           the same as everyone else I like this,However I think the lighter burning on the inside works but I would have liked the burnt patches to be the same size as those on the outside.
    I can see the amount of work that has gone into it.
Regards
John