Author Topic: Buffing System  (Read 4821 times)

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
Buffing System
« on: February 24, 2013, 06:35:52 PM »
This is generally posted for Paul Disdle.

It is in no way a definitive system or even the only way of buffing your work - it is my system.

I've made it from items I've picked up at Woodturning events, Engineering Shows and even Flea Markets. All up it's cost me less than £30.

The Pigtail can be held in a Jacobs Chuck but I found it sometimes vibrated itself loose so when I found I could hold it in the Supernova, it became my preferred method of holding.

For those of you who have not met this system before, it comprises 3 buffing wheels one each for the Jewellers Rouge (Tripoli wax - a very fine cutting compound), White Diamond ( a polishing compound) and Woodturners Stick (Carnubra Wax) for the final high shine.

Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Paul Disdle

Re: Buffing System
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2013, 07:26:49 PM »
Thanks for the pictures nice and simple just the way I like it. I have an old bench grinder that may about to be reborn. Are your mops 4"? Are they a different type of mop for each compound?

Thanks Again

Paul

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2013, 08:18:40 PM »
Paul,

my wheels are 6" and I have two sorts. The Tripoli & White Diamond use a calico stitched wheel - but I've un-picked the first 3 or 4 rows of stitching.

The wheel for the carnubra is a cotton wheel, again stitched and slightly unpicked but I understand that an un-stitched one is better as you can work your turning through it easier.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

thebowlerhattedturner

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2013, 11:19:28 PM »
Hi All,
        I also use buffing wheels similar to the ones shown here. I actually got mine from the local motorbike shop, apparently those that ride motorbikes like to buff their chrome so I got the whole kit there at quite a reasonable cost.
Regards
John BHT

Offline hughie

• gold
  • The Wooden Potter
    • http://www.facebook.com/TheWoodenPotter
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2013, 09:50:33 PM »
I have something similar although I don't  use the pigtails, rather each one has its own shaft that fits anyone of my chucks.

Offline Eric Harvey

• platinum
  • Craters project no.1
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2013, 08:27:22 PM »
these systems have been used in the dental trade for polishing dentures for 60yrs or more
,and as with all things must be used carefully,or your prized piece of woodturning will be caught,and flung across the room with disasterous results,and even worse when its a paying customers shiny new teeth shattering against the nearest wall,but fantastic results when done properly,regards,

Eric.
welcome to my woodturning world

Offline Dave Atkinson

• Global Moderator
  • gold
  • Macclesfield
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2013, 02:27:12 PM »
I use one of these systems and I put a piece of camping mat on the lathe bed and curl it up the wall behind the lathe.

Then when I let go :o it bounces harmlessly on the mat no damage done  8)

Cheers Dave

ru55ell1

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2013, 10:25:53 AM »
Must be handy Dave (Atco) when you need 40 winks  :)