Author Topic: Parting off...?  (Read 4055 times)

arcos

Parting off...?
« on: February 05, 2013, 11:51:02 PM »
With a hacksaw?

I just watched a guy part off a pendant with a hacksaw... Following on from comments...

Is this safe???

Anyone else do this?

Offline julcle

• platinum
Re: Parting off...?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2013, 12:07:38 AM »
I still use a tennon saw with the lathe off. I just don't have
The confidence yet to catch a piece that's spinning at
1000rpm + in one hand while holding a parting tool in the
other. I will part down to a small diameter beforehand though.
Crowvalley Woodturners
Julian

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2013, 12:32:45 AM »
I have a little gentlemans saw I use to part off the final 1/4" when parting off but wouldn't try and do it with the lathe running.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2013, 07:57:47 AM »
I think, from your comment, you are talking about someone doing this while the wood is rotating, hmmm, not overly happy with that as an idea, but it's like anything, practice and what you feel safe and happy with.

Like others I use a small saw (on stationary items) to part off larger items, I'm quite happy parting of the small ones. My weapon of choice is a Japanese Ikedame Dovetail saw.

However I've been considering purpose making a saw for this job using a fine toothed jigsaw blade.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

arcos

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2013, 08:49:45 AM »
Yes, this was parted whilst rotating...

It was a full size hacksaw and made a very clean cut...

I am not sure that I would feel too comfortable parting off in this way!

ru55ell1

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2013, 11:27:35 AM »
Hada demonstrator at the club this week making a small box. He parted off with the lathe running and it looked under control to me.

I guess its a personal choice, practice makes perfect, but be prepared to loose a couple of fingers :-)

Offline julcle

• platinum
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2013, 01:24:09 PM »
I am rather attached to my fingers!  They may not look very
good bit they still work well
Crowvalley Woodturners
Julian

woody

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2013, 03:35:22 PM »
I would part off all the way on small items but like most I normally use a fine tooth saw with the lathe stationary for several reasons o(1) I dont like trying to catch flying vases before they hit the floor  (2) if the project is end grain the center bit of wood can tear out and make a mess of the project 3rd I love myself and dont fancy having say a vase sticking out of my head the blood would discolor it LOL

thebowlerhattedturner

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2013, 04:19:00 PM »
Hi arcos,
            I agree with all of the reasoning and comments above, however...........I do part off with the lathe running but take various things into consideration.
The first thing is experience, now I know that old cherry about familiarity....etc etc. but as a full time turner you get to realise the risks you are taking in as much as danger to fingers/eyes and the finished product. So for the time being I would advocate stopping the lathe and cutting off with a fine toothed saw, you may think differently once you have gained more experience.
 I have seen a saw used with the lathe running and have tried it myself but have not found it to be desirable because the saw becomes unwieldy and if it warms up it expands and jams in the cut. So I part off all the way leaving enough wood on the base to allow me to reverse the piece I am making removing any torn grain and clean up the bottom/apply decoration etc.
Obviously if it is a large piece, that is a piece that will not fit in my hand, I part off nearly all the way through, and then reverse it and finish off. On occasions I will remove the piece from the lathe and cut through either by hand or on the bandsaw, but always using a sled to support the work and prevent the bandsaw from grabbing.
The best advice I can give you is sharpen your parting tool before you start the cut and depending on the thickness of the piece being parted widen the cut slightly to prevent tool grab.
Above all else, before you carry out an unfamiliar operation on the lathe (or any other machine come to that)stop and think of what could go wrong and what the consequences could be.
You can always turn another bit but it's very difficult to replace fingers.
Regards
John BHT

Offline Philip Greenwood

• bronze
  • Professional Woodturner. North Yorkshire
    • Woodturning into Art
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2013, 06:15:30 PM »
I part off with the lathe running using a standard Parting tool for small items. One piece of advice I always give is to use the parting tool in your left hand and hold your item in your right hand, the reason is if you use your right hand to hold the parting tool you will have to reach over with your left hand and your arm will come close to the revolving chuck and its uncomfortable as well.

Large item I will part only part way then stop the lathe and use a fine tooth saw.

Philip

arcos

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2013, 07:11:19 PM »
I do part off with a parting tool and the lathe turning...

I always start with a large cut/space... Even if I use a gouge to create enough space then when taking the parting tool I use my left hand, hold the turning piece with my right hand and balance the parting tool with my hip... For me this is quite a comfortable way of doing it.

It was just when I watched this guy parting with a full size hacksaw was a bit concerning!