Author Topic: Oblong Bowl...?  (Read 2562 times)

arcos

Oblong Bowl...?
« on: February 02, 2013, 09:40:03 AM »
Not sure that is the right wording....  ???

If I have a split log that is longer than it is wide is that the right way to start an oblong bowl?

What I am looking to do is basically turn the outside and a decent foot that will sit in the chuck, reverse and then hollow out creating an oblong bowl...

The trouble is that my head cannot work out if that is the right way to do it or even if it will work!

Any tips please?

woody

Re: Oblong Bowl...?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2013, 10:30:04 AM »
You have answered your own question in how to do it the only thing I will add is when it is spinning all you will have to work to is a shadow and it will involve a lot of hand sanding and mind your fingers LOL
I have the lathe going as fast as I dare when turning these type of bowls because your chisel is cutting air half the time but some would disagree 

Offline Woodcrafts

• bronze
  • Passing on skills to the next generation
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2013, 11:20:55 AM »
..... I have the lathe going as fast as I dare when turning these type of bowls because your chisel is cutting air half the time but some would disagree 
I agree with Woody, the faster the better, but be wary of any cracks or splits in the timber, and wear a full face visor.

When demonstrating this type of bowl, and turning at high speed, I very gently put my fingers agains the wood (in trailing mode) to prove that going faster IS safer, as there is less time for you fingers or tools to fall through the gap. I don't recommend that practise but it does make the point.

Another useful tip is to put a ring of masking tape round the whole piece so the corners are easier to see. I also use a piece of coloured card on top of the lathe bed to make the wood stand out better. The colour depends on the colour of wood. I often use black but white works better for some woods. In which case you might be better off using black insulation tape round the work.

It is also useful to put a piece of tape on the toolrest to mark the extremity of the wood so you know where the cuts will start/ finish.

And keep your fingers behind the toolrest!

Good luck with the bowl. I look forward to seeing the end result.
Regards,
Paul Bellamy - Woodcrafts

Offline desmoengine

• iron
  • Livingston,West Lothian,Scotland
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2013, 02:12:10 PM »
if you are intending to keep the bark on the natural edge  rim ,listen to the wood as you turn if the bark is becoming loose you will hear a hollow sound as the tool touches it, i then apply copious amount of thin CA to keep it in place. this assumes the bark is to be kept as a feature and already has not been thrown off into your visor or elsewhere.
have fun
dave w
Dave Willcocks
willcockswoodwercks@virginmedia.com

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2013, 03:43:09 PM »
The important advise has been said, so I wont repeat it.

But if you look on YouTube for Angel Winged Bowl there is a few demo's available to watch.

The advice I'll give here is that there are some people posting on YouTube I like and some I consider outright dangerous, so it may help to watch with the eye of a sceptic.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!